Melcor A24 PreAmp pair and C20 Opto Compressor w PS and Rack

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

Mystic Steamship Co.
steve albini likes it

Melcor A24 PreAmp pair and C20 Opto Compressor w PS and Rack

Post by Mystic Steamship Co. » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:20 pm

RARE AS SHIT///COOL AS HELL////FROM A SUBMARINE!!

I've tested these guys, it powers up and passes signal. Sounds neat, but I never used it much (too many pre's/lazy about wiring patchbays). I never figured out the pinout of the opto compressor but it looks very much like an LA3a and I've got the opto section to react to input signals, just never figured out the output wiring. I'd be willing to give it another shot if you asked nicely.

All discrete, transformer balanced goodness. Should be easy to modify with attenuators, but they sound great as fixed gain pre's. Seem to have around 45 db of gain or so as they sit and a very cool vintage tone. They sound nice chained together from what I remember and are fantastic line amplifiers as well.

Probably circa 1960-64. Def early solid state design and built to military standards. Would be a fun winter project to tinker around with. I have some hand drawn schematics somewhere.

SOLD

Last edited by Mystic Steamship Co. on Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:32 am, edited 5 times in total.

orphanaudio
audio school graduate

Post by orphanaudio » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:09 pm

We have complete original blueprints and user manual for the C-20 (as well as a few other Melcor schematics) and are in the process of racking several for another Mass. based studio. The C-20 requires at minimum, a Melcor CC-20 control panel (meter, time constants) and T-type input attenuator to complete the compressor, but would be best with an output attenuator added as well for gain makeup control. There are also ways to change the slope by bringing internal jumpers out to front panel switches.

Thank you,

Ken Hirsch / Director of Engineering
Orphan Audio LLC www.orphanaudio.com
Quad-Eight Electronics? LLC www.quadeightelectronics.com
Electrodyne Audio? www.electrodyneaudio.com (a division of Orphan Audio LLC)
email: info@orphanaudio.com
mobile/text: 818 632-2496

"Education is the cure for everything"
Ken Hirsch/Director of Engineering
Orphan Audio LLC www.orphanaudio.com
Quad-Eight Electronics? www.quadeightelectronics.com
Electrodyne Audio? www.electrodyneaudio.com

Mystic Steamship Co.
steve albini likes it

Post by Mystic Steamship Co. » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:57 pm

SUPER PRICE DROP