WTB: 24 or 32 Channel Recording Console

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

inthewest
audio school

WTB: 24 or 32 Channel Recording Console

Post by inthewest » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:31 am

Hey everyone! Long time lurker over here... finally decided to make account as I am in the hunt for a new console. We just moved shop from the basement to a commercial building and have the space to actually buy a larger format console now.

Nothing too fancy... This is still a low budget, DIY operation. I was thinking something like a Sountracs MRX, Ghost, or Peavey AMR console would be perfect for what we are trying to do. I'd take a look at anything else that's more or less along those lines though.

Our budget is around $1000 and we are located in New Jersey.
Willing to travel a bit to pick something up.

Thanks!

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:34 pm

Hey - I have a couple different 16 channel boards that you could mix together to create a weird/cool hybrid console. They are
Studiomaster 16:4:2
Carvin MX1688
Tangent 1602ax

The studiomaster and carvin are in good shape and work well, except for some age related crackles on the pots. The studiomaster sounds especially PHAT. Never turned on the Tangent.

I'd let all 3 go for $400. I'm in NJ.
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

inthewest
audio school

Post by inthewest » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:51 pm

Flight Feathers wrote:Hey - I have a couple different 16 channel boards that you could mix together to create a weird/cool hybrid console. They are
Studiomaster 16:4:2
Carvin MX1688
Tangent 1602ax

The studiomaster and carvin are in good shape and work well, except for some age related crackles on the pots. The studiomaster sounds especially PHAT. Never turned on the Tangent.

I'd let all 3 go for $400. I'm in NJ.

That's an interesting idea. I hadn't thought of doing a hybrid thing... I'll probably still hold out and try to find one larger console. I have a Tascam M series board that's cutting it (just barely) at the moment.

ivanovich
gettin' sounds

Post by ivanovich » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:28 am

hey there,

i've got a sweet modded out ghost i'm selling. it's over your 1k budget but it might be a really good board for what you're looking for. it seems like you're ready to get to work, and this ghost is up for the job. super quiet with the new power supply too. master section re-done(rechipped and recapped) new volume pots, the whole nine yards. comes with the meter bridge and i can throw in the table and panel that i made to put monitors/etc on......

the ghost is in the buy/sell/trade section:
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=86377

i'd be willing to meet you halfway, say in philly or something
shoot me a PM if this sounds interesting. i can work on the price.....

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:50 am

You should buy that Ghost. I used one for years, and they are a ridiculous amount of console for the money. The routing is matched by no other console ever made ever. And those mods will surely take it to the next level. Perfect for what you are describing.
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

inthewest
audio school

Post by inthewest » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:21 pm

Yeah, I agree that the Ghost is pretty much what I'm looking for. I actually went to check one out a few weeks ago, but the person ended up not being able to find the power supply or meter bridge when I got there so I walked... I saw later that week they listed it as-is for $100. Someone made out on that one... not me though haha

ivanovich - I PM'd you. Your board awesome. I'm not sure I can afford it, but maybe we can work something out!