Otari MX5050 BQII 4 Track

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

Mystic Steamship Co.
steve albini likes it

Otari MX5050 BQII 4 Track

Post by Mystic Steamship Co. » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:45 pm

I've got a MINT Otari MX5050 BQII 4 track machine. I bought it from the original owner and it saw virtually no use before it was put into climate controlled storage. This is the top of the line MX series machine Otari made. It is a truly professional machine with XLR I/O, built in oscillator, varispeed, 7.5 and 15ips, audiophile caps, full frequency response adjustments for record and playback at both speeds and more. I have gone through this machine completely and it performs flawlessly. This 4 track records completely flat from 20hZ to 20kHz at 15ips with a nice little head bumb around 60hz. 7.5 ips is almost as flat with a slight drop off in the ultra highs which sounds really nice. The heads look and perform like new with no visible wear pattern.

This is the perfect machine for integrating tape into a digital setup for a very reasonable price. 1/4" tape is cheap, and the reliability and great sonics of Otari machines make them hard to beat. Track drums to tape, overdub in your DAW then mix back to the Otari while also running tape slap. This machine is also very nice for running stems through. Its extremely stable, ive sent 30 track sessions through the Otari 4 tracks at a time everything lines up perfectly with added dimension and character. Anything you could want from a tape machine, the BQII can probably do. Its easy to align and maintain, and it holds alignment better than any deck Ive ever owned (likely bc the heads are flawless).

Comes with a very nice roll around rack and rack ears i will include if interested. I'll throw in some tape and would be happy to walk any one through the alignment and maintanenece procedures.

Local pickup or I will arrange shipping. Please get in touch for photos or more information.

$1150

Open to trades for small things, particularly mics and compressors/vintage channel strips.. I have WAY too many tape machines right now.