SOLD dbx 242 eq

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

SOLD dbx 242 eq

Post by frans_13 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:09 am

Hi, i decided i got too much stuff and i get too old. Selling my dby 242 eq, which usually has an unbalanced output but this one has been modded with a heavy german broadcast output transformer. Comes with the original PSU, which says 230volts input, located in Bavaria Germany, so selling in Europe would make sense. Let's see if anyone is interested then i'll take photos. And i forgot to put up a price, sorry - how about 150 Euros + postage?
Last edited by frans_13 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Due to luck and circumstances i am offering a limited run of Beyerdynamic M380 clones with unused Beyer capsules. PM me for info.

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Re: FS: dbx 242 eq

Post by frans_13 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:05 am

In Bob Orbans words:

"The design started out as the successor to the Orban 642. The improvement was a complex crosscoupled feedback arrangement that allowed reciprocal curves to +/-16dB EQ, yet still allowed an infinite notch. The whole thing required a MAJOR optimization to solve all of the relevant
equations, because, unlike most EQ designs, the properties are not guaranteed by the topology but rather by correct selection of (if I recall correctly) six different resistors. (We have since received a patent on the topology, and, for the brave-hearted, the optimization procedure and the equations are to be found there.)

About that time, AKG decided to drop the Orban studio line and just concentrate on broadcast because they had just purchased the remains of the dbx Pro operation, and dbx was to become the new "pro" line.

The EQ design was pretty cool, but the powers that be at AKG decided that we would sell a lot more of them if they were aimed towards the project
studio market. This required a few compromises, like a wallwart power supply. But the main signal path is 5532s in low-gain inverting mode, and it's actually pretty clean."
Due to luck and circumstances i am offering a limited run of Beyerdynamic M380 clones with unused Beyer capsules. PM me for info.