FS: NVL Otari mx70 1" 16 track with remote and other extras $4000

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

calebrwilliams
ass engineer

FS: NVL Otari mx70 1" 16 track with remote and other extras $4000

Post by calebrwilliams » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:07 pm

Hello TOMB! I miss you all, haven't been active here in many years which leads me to this post:
mx70_1.jpeg
mx70_1.jpeg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 10696 times
I purchased this machine from a fellow TOMB member in 2008 who according to a comment on thread had a reputation for taking meticulously good care of his equipment. I used it for projects every few months until about 2014 when other priorities took over. Since it has been used occasionally, most recently this Spring when I transferred tapes to digital. When not in use, it's been stored in a cool, dry basement covered with a blanket. It's always worked great for me, but I haven't calibrated the machine since probably 2014. For anyone interested, I'm happy to let your time to test out the details yourself before purchase. Right now I don't have a console to hook it up to (do have a 16 line XLR > 1/4 trs" snake), but can borrow a PA system from a friend or if you happen to have a small 16 channel mixer to bring that could be very helpful. I've attached pictures and also posted a basic video on youtube of it in action message me for link or just search Otari mx70 not many videos on there.

While everything seems functional in my testing, I will list a few minor signs of wear that can all be seen in specific pictures:

-"search cue" button cap missing on remote (see picture) and seems to not function (you could use search zero instead) but possibly could be fixed.

- both lights are out on 14's VU meter. Meter works.

- one light is out on 11 and 12's VU meters (there are 2 lights per meter). Meter works.

This listing also includes some extras:

-Extra Headstack (I've never used it, it came with the machine and seller told me was a backup).

-Extra Tapes: 2 Quantegy 499 I've never used that look great, 6 Ampex 456 I've actively used, 2 more seem a little sketch -maybe some of these could be restored? I'm not familiar with that process.

-Calibration Tape

-Original Manual with some extra schematics and documentation (manual is a little beat up and could be missing a page or two).

-Card Extender (for testing cards without pulling out).

-There is an extra pinch roller, but think it's toast. That being said the one on the machine has hardly been used as I put in on brand new recently.

-16 channel XLR female > TRS 1/4" snake (I used to come out of the tape to my console).

I'm currently asking $4000 for everything. In full transparency I have it listed on Reverb for $5k, but wanted to offer it here before I lower the price there.

As you might guess this is local pick up only located in Nashville, TN. Please reach out with any questions, I'm happy to answer anything I can. I'm aiming to give as much detail as possible but there is so much I may have missed something. I'm also open to offers - there isn't much info out there to determine the currently worth.

This is sold as is. You all know vintage equipment can be finicky and while I've tested as much as I can, there is always some risk with older equipment and needs to be repaired from time to time. I will say though this thing seems to be built like a tank and only issue I ever had was solved by putting in a few pinch roller (1 min repair!).

If you happen to be in the area, I'd welcome any serious buyers with funds ready to come at least check it out before any commitment and see/test it for yourself.
Attachments
mx70_9.jpeg
mx70_9.jpeg (576.45 KiB) Viewed 10696 times
mx70_8.jpeg
mx70_8.jpeg (671.83 KiB) Viewed 10696 times
mx70_5.jpeg
mx70_5.jpeg (831.38 KiB) Viewed 10696 times
mx70_4.jpeg
mx70_4.jpeg (516 KiB) Viewed 10696 times
mx70_3.jpeg
mx70_3.jpeg (709.98 KiB) Viewed 10696 times
mx70_2.jpeg