Could Forums Like This Make a Comeback?

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

Mark
tinnitus

Could Forums Like This Make a Comeback?

Post by Mark » Tue May 23, 2023 10:38 am

I mean... Facebook groups are great and everything. But are they the ideal?
WWRHS?

analogika
gettin' sounds

Re: Could Forums Like This Make a Comeback?

Post by analogika » Tue May 23, 2023 11:06 am

Facebook groups suck. Search is shit (the concept is to keep people interacting, not to provide a resource), and visibility depends upon algorithms.

MUCH prefer forums. But I'm old.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue May 23, 2023 11:38 am

Someone did an age group survey on gearspace recently - according to that the average user I think was around 50. I would assume TOMB is similarly skewed, if not older. I assume I am one of the youngest people that is here regularly, at 38.

So I would say if there aren’t more young people on forums, especially these low volume ones like tomb will almost certainly die out as it’s members do.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Tue May 23, 2023 6:38 pm

I don’t see the point of FB groups unless you just like to see the same few things repeated over and over again, and can’t find anything. Forums make a lot more sense as knowledge bases. Does anyone go to libraries anymore?
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Wed May 24, 2023 1:59 am

I haven't been to one in decades. But that's only because I'm really bad at returning books
WWRHS?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed May 24, 2023 5:11 am

emrr wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 6:38 pm
I don’t see the point of FB groups unless you just like to see the same few things repeated over and over again, and can’t find anything. Forums make a lot more sense as knowledge bases. Does anyone go to libraries anymore?

I hate FB and FB groups. I do have a library card, but I can just checkout books on my phone so actually visiting the library is not usually necessary…

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed May 24, 2023 6:40 am

I don't really like FB groups much either - for the same reasons already listed but also because eventually the same idiots show up just to hear themselves talk (or I guess see their own posts). And some of them are on other forums too. I left several FB groups because of people that are there to just make trouble or the group is overrun by spam and fake ads, and such. FB puts on this act about trying to stop all of that but the fact is they NEED every user - real or not - so they will never prevent it. Same for Twitter, Instagram, etc. But something new will eventually come along. I doubt these old forums will make much of a comeback. there's not even an app... 8)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed May 24, 2023 10:52 am

i feel like forum has a strong user base. it might be small but there are new posts daily and when there are questions/answers they are legitimate things, not fluff/comedy/filler. quality over quantity here at TOMB

as for the age thing, i'm also 38 so i guess i'm on the younger end here too. i love the wisdom of the elders here, it is invaluable.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Wed May 24, 2023 10:59 am

I'd say maybe.
The young folks (I have a college-age kid, so he & his friends are what I go by) are moving away from FB and Twitter and to a lesser extent IG and more toward Discord. I could potentially see a move toward something forum-esque from there. I think forum software would have to evolve in order to hold the interest of youngsters. I think the reason us mature folks put up with this stuff is that we kind of grew up with it. This shit was rad back when "rad" was a rad word to use. But now forums feel like 56K in a Gigabit world. If they could evolve without losing their essential forum-ness, they might resurge.

Or I could be full of crap.

Or both.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed May 24, 2023 1:11 pm

I stopped using Faecesbook when they allowed a certain orange turd to return. I also got kinda sick of my RWNJ "friends".

I will now be boycotting the Muskwitter, as well, due to FLA fascists, etc.

IMO, social media is a deathtrap for civil and sane discourse, altho' I do some blogs (mostly political) and a a cuppla music forums like here and talkbass. (I actually have me own small one of the latter, but just for a group of less than 10 regulars - I kinda inherited it from the founder who developed other priorities.)

I sure do miss myspace, tho'. /s
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:28 am

analogika wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:06 am
Facebook groups suck. Search is shit (the concept is to keep people interacting, not to provide a resource), and visibility depends upon algorithms.

MUCH prefer forums. But I'm old.
This (apologies for the belated reply).

FB is shit for the kinds of things that message boards do well. I've seen various non-music related forums die over the last decade and, as they have been taken by web rot, many, many excellent archives of knowledge have gone too. I'm talking about motoring, car and bike maintenance, stuff like that. Some incredible model specific forums for Honda and Kawasaki etc. totally vanished.

At least the TOMBs are still here even if they have long since been covered over by accumulated drifts of digital tumble weeds.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:57 am

I love the TOMB.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:18 am

same here, i check in daily for new threads and to put my .02 in. i love this place.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:48 pm

oh yep, I'm here at least once a day, because this shite is real (not posing)

I'll do searches for info at gs, and I read news sites and blogs (reco emptywheel!) regular-like, some tech stuff and some music stuff like RS and Consequence and Pitchfork once a month, talkbass ...

lotsa uchoob for the politics and live choons/concerts, gear reviews, cooking, tech and repair stuff

I'm offa faecesbook and Xitter*

I ain' leave here 'til all y'all do

*all y'all know "X" in Chinese is "sh", yeah? Xitter
Last edited by vvv on Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:51 pm

I still check in here, thought also fb because that's where the people still are. Hoping this kind of forum will be able to survive and even grow.