A good idea from "Gearslutz"

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

A good idea from "Gearslutz"

Post by Brian Brock » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:25 pm

Thank god I can actually tell my wife what forum I'm using now!

Anyway, on the so-called gear slut's forum, you could mouse over the title of a thread in any index and it would show you the first line or so of the post - that really helped to weed out posts when the title is vague or only mildly interesting.

The background image is distracting, but fits in with the design of the magazine, so I'm for it.

Thanks!

Brian

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:47 pm

I think that's a feature of the vbulletin software. tapeop is punk rock and open source so they use phpbb.

tret-lo
gettin' sounds

Post by tret-lo » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:01 pm

Syrupcore is right. It would be really time-consuming to add that feature to phpBB.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Re: A good idea from "Gearslutz"

Post by TapeOpHillary » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:01 pm

Brian Brock wrote:The background image is distracting, but fits in with the design of the magazine, so I'm for it
it's a reel of 2" tape, btw. basf 900 to be exact. up close. lightened. obviously not a new reel and obviously the machine guides had a hiccup at a certain point in winding...
:mrpink: hillary

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Post by tateeskew » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:32 pm

tret-lo wrote:Syrupcore is right. It would be really time-consuming to add that feature to phpBB.
yea, should take quite a while. about 5 minutes or so:

Topic Preview Mouseover Mod

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:30 am

formzero wrote:
tret-lo wrote:Syrupcore is right. It would be really time-consuming to add that feature to phpBB.

hmmm...i'll check that out. we did a shitload of mod'ing as it is and unless it's something super important, we're gonna run with what we have for a bit to make sure everything's cool, sound good?

tret-lo
gettin' sounds

Post by tret-lo » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:46 am

formzero wrote:
tret-lo wrote: Syrupcore is right. It would be really time-consuming to add that feature to phpBB.
Sorry dude, I had no idea there was already a mod out there for this. I have been doing custom mods for this board for the past week, and I was a bit edgy about the prospect of doing any more.

We should be able to get that installed if people don't mind some downtime. It looks like a real easy mod.

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Re: A good idea from "Gearslutz"

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:31 pm

Brian Brock wrote:Thank god I can actually tell my wife what forum I'm using now!

Anyway, on the so-called gear slut's forum, you could mouse over the title of a thread in any index and it would show you the first line or so of the post - that really helped to weed out posts when the title is vague or only mildly interesting.

The background image is distracting, but fits in with the design of the magazine, so I'm for it.

Thanks!

Brian
Word. The preview has been around on several forums for a while now. Very handy - Along with the little "arrow" that appears when YOU have a post on that thread.

And agreed on the background - A mild blur would keep it visible but make the text easier to read above it...

I mean, as long as we're being picky... :crazy:
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Post by tateeskew » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:16 pm

tret-lo wrote:
formzero wrote:
tret-lo wrote: Syrupcore is right. It would be really time-consuming to add that feature to phpBB.
Sorry dude, I had no idea there was already a mod out there for this. I have been doing custom mods for this board for the past week, and I was a bit edgy about the prospect of doing any more.

We should be able to get that installed if people don't mind some downtime. It looks like a real easy mod.
no apology needed. good stuff so far.

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:00 pm

as far as I'm concerned, it's totally worth it to have, even if it means a little down-time.

Thanks,

Brian