Too many forums...

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:30 pm

TapeOpHillary wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote:that must be it then.. we just don't have enough going on in our lives.
:roll:
or making the decision then to spend a lot of time on the board?
I'm thinking this whole "yeah, we're just so busy, you don't understand cuz you're lame" thing is lame. Of course, I'm hitting the wine a bit hard...might just be me.

Oh well....anyone up for armwrestling?

*hiccup*

heylow

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:36 pm

anyway, the ideas for solutions are really cool. thanks.

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:51 pm

trashy wrote:anyway, the ideas for solutions are really cool. thanks.

Yeah, word....I was just being facetious. My bad? :wink:

heylow

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:00 pm

heylow wrote:
trashy wrote:anyway, the ideas for solutions are really cool. thanks.

Yeah, word....I was just being facetious. My bad? :wink:

heylow
no, I just.. well, my last post sounded sarcastic - and I need all of the points I can get around here. Garges sort of likes me, but that will only get you so far...

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:11 pm

trashy wrote: no, I just.. well, my last post sounded sarcastic - and I need all of the points I can get around here. Garges sort of likes me, but that will only get you so far...

Oh right. Uhhhh. My suggestion....wear neon multi-colored hot pants. Garges is a sucker for that shit. That and old white cargo vans...go figure. He's agood guy but get him listening to vintage Micheal Jackson when he's got a few in him and he's pretty much raring for an all out brawl. Add the pants and....well, you do the math...he's a strapping young lad. What're ya gunna do? Boys is gunna be boys.

heylow

swingdoc
tinnitus

Post by swingdoc » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:12 am

Here's what I dont understand. People continuously refer to the 'old board' as a community of information that previously worked for them. Whatever BS was on there, info was still easy to access & people reliably answered questions. Yet, there's a strong movement by the moderators to move away from the previous recipe that worked.
The board as it currently stands is way to diffuse to be a convenient source of information. There really needs to be a reduction in the number of topics. Much of the information I was able to gather before came from brousing a topic or two now and then. Currently thats impossible to do in a short amount of time.

And I agree with someone who mentioned above about the current "vibe". Two unprovoked fairly negative and demeaning comments from our moderators makes me wonder if they are really interested in us being here or not.
I want to see this work as much as the next guy. I cut my teeth here, and have met a great group of people. Its just too apparent that the current build and the personality of the new board is to hinder and limit open, rapid, creative and free discussion. The essence of the old succesful board.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:25 am

swingdoc wrote:Here's what I dont understand. People continuously refer to the 'old board' as a community of information that previously worked for them. Whatever BS was on there, info was still easy to access & people reliably answered questions. Yet, there's a strong movement by the moderators to move away from the previous recipe that worked.
The board as it currently stands is way to diffuse to be a convenient source of information. There really needs to be a reduction in the number of topics. Much of the information I was able to gather before came from brousing a topic or two now and then. Currently thats impossible to do in a short amount of time.

And I agree with someone who mentioned above about the current "vibe". Two unprovoked fairly negative and demeaning comments from our moderators makes me wonder if they are really interested in us being here or not.
I want to see this work as much as the next guy. I cut my teeth here, and have met a great group of people. Its just too apparent that the current build and the personality of the new board is to hinder and limit open, rapid, creative and free discussion. The essence of the old succesful board.
What are you, some kind of doctor? :lol:
beware bee wear

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:13 am

heylow wrote:I appreciate Chris' answer....thanks Chris.
You're welcome. (Sorry for the late reply--I've been working all day.)

CG

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:26 am

I don't have an issue with any of it, it's still a great resource, and i've gotten used to the colour pretty quickly and actually quite like it now. If i want to ask a question or feel like discussing recording information i can still do that here and if i just want to chat there are other places. I didn't think i'd be all that bothered, but i am glad it's back.

Is the search function still rubbish, i haven't used it yet? Ah well, nothing's perfect.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:09 am

Hey All,

First, I will again thank Larry and Hillary and the new moderators for getting this thing back up. I missed it.

Second, I'm stoked about the solutions to the two biggest problems people have. I've been using the "unread messages" thing which isn't flawless, but does let me see the board as a whole. They sound like a good compromise.

Third, Larry and Hillary, honestly your nerves do sound a bit frayed. I understand that you want a place where people can come learn about recording in an accessible way, and some of the aspects of the "community" made it difficult and uninviting for new people, kind of creating an in-crowd and out-crowd thing. But I suspect the moderation will help with that more than the technical solutions. Now, I hope you'll be patient with your (in my experience) very dedicated user base as we, well, use the place.

Best,
--JES

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:31 am

swingdoc wrote:And I agree with someone who mentioned above about the current "vibe". Two unprovoked fairly negative and demeaning comments from our moderators makes me wonder if they are really interested in us being here or not.
yeah... it's pretty fucking lame to insult the people who (1) make up the mags readership, (2) support the advertisers who make the mag possible, and (3) provide a significant portion of the content of the messageboard.

larry and hillary,
I understand that there must've been some drama before the old board died. and, I'm sure that establishing the new board has been a lot of work that's not nearly as fun as making cool records with cool bands. but, seriously, get off the high horse and stop talking down to the people who got you where you are today.

a side note... I think that the best decision yet was to put Chris Garges and Joel Hamilton in as moderators. I appreciate their down-to-earth approach to sharing information. Even with the lowly losers who either have 9 to 5 jobs in front of computers, or choose to come here to be a part of a community.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:39 am

a second side note...

I'm actually getting used to the 300 different categories now. aside from the "some posts could belong in several categories" thing, it actually does make it faster and easier to get to the info that I'm after.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:42 am

My only suggestion--and I have only one--is that Gear and Recording should be combined. This would make for a great big board, but these two are absolutely inseparable. Who wants to talk about gear without talking about using it? And who is gonna talk about recording with discussing how equipment is used for that purpose? You can see from the low post count in Recording that this is a problem.

The board looks nice though, I love the spinning tape reels, and I'm glad it's back.

And yes, the search function is awful. Exact phrase matching would make everyone's life a lot easier. But that's a gripe for php, not hj and lc.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:38 am

subatomic pieces wrote:I think that the best decision yet was to put Chris Garges and Joel Hamilton in as moderators. I appreciate their down-to-earth approach to sharing information. Even with the lowly losers who either have 9 to 5 jobs in front of computers, or choose to come here to be a part of a community.
Hey, Joel and I are lowly losers who sometimes have 9 to 5 (9PM to 5AM!) jobs, sometimes in front of computers (I guess technically, RADAR is a computer, as is a DN780, an H3000, blah, blah).

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Greenlander
steve albini likes it

Re: ideas

Post by Greenlander » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:18 am

TapeOpHillary wrote:okay, we're working on 2 big solutions for what seems to be the 2 biggest concerns/issues with the board...

1. new theme options. i'm perfectly happy with other people designing themes for the board and every user can choose which one s/he wants to use. if anyone wants to design a theme, check this: make a theme.

2. ryan started work on a 'megaforum' which allows users to choose between either viewing the data in the messageboard as either one big forum with all threads OR as individual forums. the only rub comes when posting. you have to post to a specific forum. which actually is okay.

give us some time on that one...

:mrpink: hillary
Just wanted to chime in my support for these ideas. ISolution 1 is pretty cool in a "bells and whistles" way and solution 2 would be really great! Really smart way to keep the people who prefer a general forum happy.

Personally, I can see the good in both a general forum and the individual categories, so I would get both, which is even better!
My setup: brain into muscles into hands into fingers into guitar into cable into pedal into cable into amp into air into mic into cable into box no 1 into cable into box no2