Too many forums...

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:05 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:Regarding too many forums: I see our message board as more of a resource for folks to ask questions (or lurk) and learn - not as much of a "hang out" as some of you obviously want. I'd suggest Gearslutz for some great general forums and OT activity.

I was completely sick of the silliness and name calling jokey shit that was going on in General Recording that to a new reader would be a real put off. Make sense?
Damm Larry, lighten up.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:48 pm

Oh, I'm lightened up alright. Maybe if we see a way in the future that we wanna do there will be a "General Recording". For now we'll try this out and bear all the complaints. Much of the new format was my ideas - sorry about that! I just wanted to see something more useful (in my mind) than the clusterfuck of "GR".

PS:
Heylow,
I wasn't jabbing at you specifically and have always appreciated your posts by the way! Okay? I'l buy the next round.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:53 pm

JFTR, I don't mind the different forums so much.

Or the colors.

Or the order the forums are listed in.

It's nice that TOMB is back at all.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:20 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:Oh, I'm lightened up alright. Maybe if we see a way in the future that we wanna do there will be a "General Recording". For now we'll try this out and bear all the complaints. Much of the new format was my ideas - sorry about that! I just wanted to see something more useful (in my mind) than the clusterfuck of "GR".

PS:
Heylow,
I wasn't jabbing at you specifically and have always appreciated your posts by the way! Okay? I'l buy the next round.
Ok...ok...fair enough. I'm known to get testy my own self sometimes. Man, I don't think anyone is trying to bash up your ideas. I think we all know we're here because you have gone out of your way to build a great magazine out of nothing that really speaks to people who aren't spoken to by the usual suspects. That's awesome and no one can take away from that.

That magazine has also spawned a real community here. By that, I don't mean a hangout or a fuck off room or whatever, but a real cool place that has a vibe all it's own....like the mag. What I'm trying to say is, I DO understand the kinds of things you are trying to keep away from and I can appreciate that.

Just keep in mind that most people with suggestions aren't trying to knock what's currently up; most of us are just suggesting because we actually love this place, the people and the magazine.

I want to say one more thing and I hope it's taken in the the same good nature it's intended: Just try not to limit the community possibilities based on a few bad apples with bad intentions. I think the new moderation will prevail over that stuff anyways.

Rock.

heylow

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:28 pm

heylow wrote:[Just keep in mind that most people with suggestions aren't trying to knock what's currently up; most of us are just suggesting because we actually love this place, the people and the magazine.
oh man, exactly.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:45 pm

trashy wrote:
heylow wrote:[Just keep in mind that most people with suggestions aren't trying to knock what's currently up; most of us are just suggesting because we actually love this place, the people and the magazine.
oh man, exactly.
word to your ....!!

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:44 pm

trashy wrote:
oh man, exactly.
And another amen here. I love the board, and am super-duper-wooper-pooper happy its back. Its been a sort of sad burden to carry over the last may however-longs to type "messageboard.tapeop.com" into the address line of my browser and get a timeout error everytime. And then I'd sigh.

I understand your concerns Larry. I think you're right that OT did get carried away and maybe even have a lot of BS in it. I also think some cool music discussions happened there that would never have happened in another forum.

My feeling is that the "general clusterfuck" of General Recording made it a much more useful and interesting board. (Background check: I started calling computer bulletin boards in 1984 -- I actually met JES that way. All that talking to people electronically has left me with a general positive feeling for less interface. The more interface a communication system has, the more difficult it is to facillitate useful communication on it. Yeah, its an aesthetic, but one that's backed up with substance.)

For example, I have recently started using a VS-1880 as a reaction against having to maintain a computer OS, and then the endless dicking around with plug-ins I'd inevitably end up doing, when what I needed was to stick with more or less a dry signal.

Now say I wanna discuss recording techniques specific to the VS-1880 (say for the sake of argument, how to get my recorded signal into a computer) -- Well, it definitely doesn't go in Computer World (though its related to a DAW), it could go in Recording Techniques, but hey, its gear-specific, so I guess it must go in Gear Talk, but that doesn't seem right, either cuz its really about recording techniques.

Another plus of the General-Clusterfuck method (Say didn't he fight in WW I?) is that maybe all of that "noise" (i.e. threads you don't want to read) aren't really noise after all, once you click on them. I've learned a hella lot from the users of this forum, and in precisely that manner.

One more point, and then I'll conclude that I've said my peace, and let it go, and again, I do appreciate you reading this and [see all other disclaimers -- love the board, like you, love the mag, etc.] ... Re: policing the board, and moderators... How to put this politic-fashion? Somebody witty once said: When you look into the void, the void also looks into you. Just be careful, is all. No judgements implied.

Again, thanks for bringing'er back up. I'm enthused.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:20 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote: I was completely sick of the silliness and name calling jokey shit that was going on in General Recording that to a new reader would be a real put off. Make sense?
Sure, makes a lot of sense. And the punchline is: you made one of them a fucking moderator! Good one!
beware bee wear

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

ideas

Post by TapeOpHillary » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:57 pm

okay, we're working on 2 big solutions for what seems to be the 2 biggest concerns/issues with the board...

1. new theme options. i'm perfectly happy with other people designing themes for the board and every user can choose which one s/he wants to use. if anyone wants to design a theme, check this: make a theme.

2. ryan started work on a 'megaforum' which allows users to choose between either viewing the data in the messageboard as either one big forum with all threads OR as individual forums. the only rub comes when posting. you have to post to a specific forum. which actually is okay.

give us some time on that one...

:mrpink: hillary

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:33 pm

I guess I just never really noticed an exceptional level of "bullshit" in these forums. Certainly no more than on other forums and probably no more than will eventually creep back into these forums, regardless of the format.

Maybe I missed something. But, these forums always seemed a bit more self-regulating than other forums. And, I believe it to be BECAUSE of the sense of community that has already been discussed. People being shitty for being shitty's sake seemed to be shot down rather quickly. But, again, maybe I missed something.

I really can't figure out how fragmenting the board further will help to stop it though.

I'm not one to complain about things that I like as much as the TOMB. So, I hope it doesn't hurt anyone's feelings.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:42 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:I guess I just never really noticed an exceptional level of "bullshit" in these forums. Certainly no more than on other forums and probably no more than will eventually creep back into these forums, regardless of the format.
what i'm guessing is that the people who spend a lot of their free time on the board (read: daily or hourly) aren't bothered by extra posts (bs or general quickposts) so they don't see it as "too much bs".
now, other people (like me or larry or anyone else) who do a crapload of different things in our lives (read: don't have a 9-5 job with a computer in front of them all day) only have a certain amount of time that can be spent on the board each week (or whatever), so when we have to scroll through posts that are just gratuitous, it subtracts that time for other things we'd like to be doing...
make sense?

now it could be that because larry & i were the only ones moderating the previous board, we didn't want to have to weed through the bs (whatever amount of it there was) so that we could actually get to the meat of the board. we just wanted to get to the meat [well, vegetables for me]...

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:55 pm

that must be it then.. we just don't have enough going on in our lives.

:roll:

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:57 pm

what DID i miss anyway?!?!

the vibe here seems really weird now.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:58 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:that must be it then.. we just don't have enough going on in our lives.
:roll:
or making the decision then to spend a lot of time on the board?

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Re: ideas

Post by trashy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:56 pm

TapeOpHillary wrote:okay, we're working on 2 big solutions for what seems to be the 2 biggest concerns/issues with the board...

1. new theme options. i'm perfectly happy with other people designing themes for the board and every user can choose which one s/he wants to use. if anyone wants to design a theme, check this: make a theme.

2. ryan started work on a 'megaforum' which allows users to choose between either viewing the data in the messageboard as either one big forum with all threads OR as individual forums. the only rub comes when posting. you have to post to a specific forum. which actually is okay.

give us some time on that one...

:mrpink: hillary

these are rad solutions! good work! I less than three all of you!!!!!