Too many forums...

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:55 pm

cgarges wrote:
trashy wrote:that clears things up a bit. I thought it was a "hey, listen to the new nickleback song" forum...
You could post that, too. Although I'd be tempted to delete it, just because it's Nickelback.

I'm kidding, by the way.

Or am I...

CG
if I even post a Nickleback song, you can delete me.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:48 pm

From earlier on in the thread:

"yeah... it's pretty fucking lame to insult the people who (1) make up the mags readership, (2) support the advertisers who make the mag possible, and (3) provide a significant portion of the content of the messageboard."

Hillary and I have not been insulting anyone. This is your assumption of our actions and the new Messageboard. If you think Tape Op Magazine isn't thankful of our readers then you are crazy. None of this would work without readers. It's just that we have seen that EVERYTIME we change anything about the Board, or even mention the possibility of changing it, a handful of folks get all up in arms. Then the dust settles and no one says a word.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:07 pm

Larry,
I'm not at all offended by the changes around here. I was certainly confused about the need for the changes.. but, not offended.
but, the following quote is quite offensive:
now, other people (like me or larry or anyone else) who do a crapload of different things in our lives (read: don't have a 9-5 job with a computer in front of them all day) only have a certain amount of time that can be spent on the board each week (or whatever), so when we have to scroll through posts that are just gratuitous, it subtracts that time for other things we'd like to be doing...
make sense?
I don't maintain that it was intentionally offensive. But, insinuating that people who enjoy the community aspect of this forum, or people who work at a regular job DON'T "do a crapload of different things in their lives" is flat out offensive. Something that maybe should have been considered before clicking the "Submit" button.

I'm also not "up in arms" about the changes and hope to not be lumped in with those who are. I was just genuinely curious about the need for the changes and the apparent attitude that accompanied them.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:11 pm

My two (humble) cents:

Technically speaking, I'm pretty much "The New Guy" when it comes to recording. I haven't been to school for it at all. I'm just learning on a DIY basis or from a couple of friends who are in this deeper than I am. I suppose that makes me a heavily invested amateur.

I'm not completely ignorant about this stuff, but at the same time I don't always know where I need to look to find the information I'm looking for. I mean in general, not necessarily on the TOMB. In the last two days I have fond the split between technique and gear sort of baffling.

At the same time, I've done enough other things to understand how frustrating things might have been to TapeOp admin. before the big switch.

So for what it's worth, I'm gonna take about two weeks and see if I can get used to the new format. If I can, I'll be on about my business of asking stupid questions. And if not, I'll bitch and moan then.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:14 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:From earlier on in the thread:

"yeah... it's pretty fucking lame to insult the people who (1) make up the mags readership, (2) support the advertisers who make the mag possible, and (3) provide a significant portion of the content of the messageboard."

Hillary and I have not been insulting anyone. This is your assumption of our actions and the new Messageboard. If you think Tape Op Magazine isn't thankful of our readers then you are crazy. None of this would work without readers. It's just that we have seen that EVERYTIME we change anything about the Board, or even mention the possibility of changing it, a handful of folks get all up in arms. Then the dust settles and no one says a word.
if by "up in arms" you mean "has their own ideas" then i agree. Almost all of the changes you folks made were leaked on the old board. All of the complaints people have now were aired and voiced over on the old board. Your response - and I would quote if the data hadn't been lost - was something along the lines of "why don't you wait until we make the changes to see what it's like." Now, we voice our concerns (again) and it's - now I will quote - "i should change my signature line to 'you can't please everyone'".

wtf?

Amazing enough as it sounds, the users of this forum would like the forum to suit their needs. If you think I'm talking about posting boob jokes, you can stuff it. We understand that it has to suit the mags needs, too - we want it to! But treating every suggestion as if it were a call for more boob jokes is condescending, and treating the users as if they were all internet nerds is even more so.

I am an internet nerd, btw. It's just that alot of the folks here aren't...

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:17 pm

I'm not adding anything to this by saying this but maybe everyone could just use the forum for a few weeks and then register suggestions? We all less than three (brilliant by the way) the tomb and it feels weird at the moment but it might not next week.

I feel like everyone is playing innocent but there's plenty of obvious old issues and it's tired. IT'S AN INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD for fucksake.

will

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Re: ideas

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:32 pm

trashy wrote:
TapeOpHillary wrote:okay, we're working on 2 big solutions for what seems to be the 2 biggest concerns/issues with the board...

1. new theme options. i'm perfectly happy with other people designing themes for the board and every user can choose which one s/he wants to use. if anyone wants to design a theme, check this: make a theme.

2. ryan started work on a 'megaforum' which allows users to choose between either viewing the data in the messageboard as either one big forum with all threads OR as individual forums. the only rub comes when posting. you have to post to a specific forum. which actually is okay.

give us some time on that one...

:mrpink: hillary

these are rad solutions! good work! I less than three all of you!!!!!

I really just wanted to put a box in a box.

But I also wanted to say that I appreciate that you guys are listening! Thanks!

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:05 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:but, the following quote is quite offensive:
now, other people (like me or larry or anyone else) who do a crapload of different things in our lives (read: don't have a 9-5 job with a computer in front of them all day) only have a certain amount of time that can be spent on the board each week (or whatever), so when we have to scroll through posts that are just gratuitous, it subtracts that time for other things we'd like to be doing...
make sense?
I don't maintain that it was intentionally offensive. But, insinuating that people who enjoy the community aspect of this forum, or people who work at a regular job DON'T "do a crapload of different things in their lives" is flat out offensive. Something that maybe should have been considered before clicking the "Submit" button.
i'm sorry if that came off as disrespectful or offensive, that was not my intention. my intention was trying to explain (in an alphanumeric way) why sorting through the board in general was time consuming for the people who had to do it (me and larry) just so that we could *enjoy* what we created just like everyone else.

i'm super happy that other people are moderating, so now i can just visit the forums i want to visit and not even have to look in the ones i'm not as interested to check that people are posting on-topic...

does that clarify?

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:07 am

I'm just happy the damn board's back. Though I agree that combining Gear Talk / Recording Techniques whilst having the rest of the forums as they are would be the best of both worlds. Just consider it, guys?

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:35 am

I'm starting to think it's just super that everything's all fragmented. This way, maybe some will think twice about recording advice from a board where the GEAR forum has twentyteen pages and LISTENING has like 5 posts.. HA!
beware bee wear

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:18 am

joeysimms wrote:...where the GEAR forum has twentyteen pages and LISTENING has like 5 posts.. HA!
:D

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:14 am

kayagum wrote:
joeysimms wrote:...where the GEAR forum has twentyteen pages and LISTENING has like 5 posts.. HA!
:D
:cry:

I've been trying to ignore that...

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:33 am

joeysimms wrote:I'm starting to think it's just super that everything's all fragmented. This way, maybe some will think twice about recording advice from a board where the GEAR forum has twentyteen pages and LISTENING has like 5 posts.. HA!

Aw man.... the cold steel of the hammer of truth just made a clinky sound.

Seriously though, I think it's impossible to avoid that for some reason. I suppose the same could be said between GEAR and TECHNIQUES though. I almost see that as more embarrassing. The concept of being different than Gearslutz sort of goes out the window. I'm not claiming innocence either...I seem to gravitate at GEAR as well but I think it's because we naturally want to go where people are on a message board.

The board looks to be taking off nicely...not quite a Full House yet though. I'd imagine some Growing Pains are in order. Different Strokes and all that....One Day at a Time though. Perhaps those are just the Facts of Life.

Cheers...

heylow

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:53 am

In the business we call it commodity fetishism. Gear is magical. And easy to talk about. Listening techniques are hard.