the MEGA BOARD is coming!

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:17 pm

The Mega Board is kinda weak. I've never been a fan of phpBB though. On my forum (which uses Invision Power Board) you have a "Today's Active Topics" link which displays all the threads that have new posts since your last visit.

Oh yeah, and it also has an ignore feature for those who aren't down with...

STOP!

... hammertime

It's the only way to surf...

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:02 pm

Yeah, well, Invision's not free. phpBB is. If they wanted to make the TOMB a subscription service, then I'd feel like I had some kind of right to complain. As it is, they're paying for hosting this thing without asking for a red cent, and NO ADS. Whaddya want for free?! :P

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:49 am

I realize that (although Invision version 1.3 was the last free verison and still out there on the web... and is very nice) but imo you get what you pay for. The newest version is a very solid piece of software with very nice features for the mods, the admins, and the users.

And it's really not that expensive, in the realm of software.

But I digress...

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:12 am

Big ups to tha mega board! I like it better than going through every individual room.
my band: Mission 5

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:17 pm

b3groover wrote:I realize that (although Invision version 1.3 was the last free verison and still out there on the web... and is very nice) but imo you get what you pay for. The newest version is a very solid piece of software with very nice features for the mods, the admins, and the users.

And it's really not that expensive, in the realm of software.
True, but there are a lot of less tangible costs associated with changing to a new BBS. Learning a new system, testing, migration, dealing with the fallout after the migration, etc. all takes a lot of hours. And as far as "you get what you pay for", I agree to a point, but phpBB gives you an awful lot for free. Maybe in hindsight there would be better choices for the TOMB than phpBB, but if it ain't broke...

As far as using an older, free version of Invision, what happens when the inevitable security hole is discovered? Is Invision still supporting their old, free versions? phpBB releases regular fixes and charges nothing for it.

BTW, I don't necessarily disagree with you about the smaller feature set of phpBB, just playing devil's advocate.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:43 pm

No, I understand. Free is free. And you're right, Invision does not support the free versions of IPB anymore. However, after migrating from 1.3 to 2.0 and now to 2.1.3, I can honestly say that it's the best piece of forum software I've had the pleasure of using. I've used phpBB and vBulletin and IPB is far and above more user friendly and easier to administrate.

But hey, go with whatcha know.

xyar
audio school

Post by xyar » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:44 pm

I'm the admin for 5 phpBB boards and for most functions, I can't think of anything to complain about. I've never used Invision, but in terms of solidity and ease of administration, I love phpBB. That and it's free! You should be able to get mods for just about anything you need to do.