spell checker

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

spell checker

Post by kayagum » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:04 pm

Does phpBB offer one? I'm too uptight, I know, but damn, people on this board can't spell :D

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:04 am

i think that most people that don't care how their posts look (spelling/grammar wise) wouldn't care one way or another either about a spellcheck feature, let alone use it. i think if it were automatic, it would slow down the board...like spellcheckers in email programs...

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:24 am

TapeOpHillary wrote:i think that most people that don't care how their posts look (spelling/grammar wise) wouldn't care one way or another either about a spellcheck feature, let alone use it. i think if it were automatic, it would slow down the board...like spellcheckers in email programs...

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:02 am

Didn't hurt to ask...

Also doesn't hurt to ask posters to try to spell a little better, either :D

tret-lo
gettin' sounds

Post by tret-lo » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:17 pm

Once I corrected someone's spelling on the old board. I came off like a total prick and then I didn't post again for a year.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:47 pm

Yeah, but it's not that you come off like a prick so much as that people tend to get really defensive if you criticize their spelling or grammar. They don't think it's important enough to write well, but they take it personally when you point out that they don't.

The argument is generally that an internet forum is a casual enough arena that proper english isn't really required; I kinda completely disagree with that, but you're not gonna change anything by including a spellcheck feature most folks won't use. (it won't help to/too/two or there/their/they're or your/you're anyway, and those are the things that drive me the most batshit.)
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/