The search engine blows

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

tret-lo
gettin' sounds

Post by tret-lo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:41 am

Okay we have RSS. Your browser will probably detect the feed and show a symbol in your location bar. The direct url is
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/rss.xml

That is a feed of every post for the past two weeks, but you can customize the feed by adding the following options to the url query string. Here are the parameters:

f=x - forum id. Use data only from this forum to output RSS.
t=1 - only new topics (first messages in topic). Default - 0.
c=x - feed items count. If omitted, the value of DEFAULT_ITEMS constant (defined in mod's code) will be used. Admin can limit the maximal possible value of x by setting MAX_ITEMS constant at the beginning of mod's code.
topic=x - view topic 'x' only
nolimit - turn off "If-Modified-Since" record limit (by default)
styled - use XSLT style for RSS feed
atom - generate atom 0.3 feed instead of rss 2.0
login - turn WWW-Authenticate on. May not work on some hosts.
uid=x - set user id for WWW-Authenticate. Use it instead of "login" for Opera or Mozilla for cyrillic nicknames. You could than use any text for login but correct password in dialog box.

Examples of Usage and Syntax:
rss.php
## Last 25 or less messages from public forums
rss.php?login&atom
## Last 25 records from allowed forums in Atom 0.3 format
rss.php?login&f=1&c=10
## Last 10 records from private forum number 1

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:45 am

will the moor wrote:pardon my nerd but this isn't tape op or hillary's fault - it's a limitation of PHPBB that at this point, will likely never be changed. Something to do with the way it stores posts in the database...

perhaps tomb 5.0 will use vanilla, punBB or wpbb. they are lovely and sleek code wise with about 1/2 the page weight (half the bandwidth bill).
Too bad about PHPBB having this limitation, since so many boards out there use it... TOMB certainly isn't the first board for which I've resorted to using a site: restricted Google search.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:47 am

tret-lo wrote:Okay we have RSS. Your browser will probably detect the feed and show a symbol in your location bar. The direct url is
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/rss.xml
excellent! thanks ryan!

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:14 pm

ryan, rockstar. thanks!

tret-lo
gettin' sounds

Post by tret-lo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:07 pm

will the moor wrote:perhaps tomb 5.0 will use vanilla, punBB or wpbb. they are lovely and sleek code wise with about 1/2 the page weight (half the bandwidth bill).
I would definitely be in favor of moving away from phpbb. The number of mods we have installed makes upgrading a nightmare. If a significant upgrade comes out, it will almost be easier to scrap this version and make a new one rather than trying to reconcile the upgrade patch with close to 20 mods. This is why I am so hesitant about any new feature requests. Every new feature we install will make upgrading that much harder. And if a real security exploit is found, we will be screwed, because upgrading promises to be very slow and painful.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:40 am

and i've been wanting to redo the main website and get rid of the darn iframes. make it web 2.0 compliant and crap.
but you know...those are big bridges to cross and no need to cross them now...
:)

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:25 pm

I don't envy you guys!

I just went through another forum search for client and as much as I love the simplicity of vanilla and wpbb, punBB really seems to match up to the TOMB functionality wise.

vanilla and BBpress (wpbb) are both super slimmed down and tag based - not so much category based. bbpress has no PMs, no avatars. they can be made to play that way but that's not their intention. they both heavily favor the older 'general recording' setup. might not be a bad thing.

hillary, all three will be easy to integrate with whatever design you come up with for the main site. All three use a tableless design, external css and make standards compliance a priority.

either way, moving to any of these should cut your bandwidth bill in half. They all use modern plugin systems that are pretty easy to roll your own with so all of ryan's work can easily be wrapped up and patched without sweat when upgrading. in fact, most plugins will just work with the next version because they aren't wrapped up in the core code. in fact, nothing is really wrapped up in the main code base or templates - exactly unlike phpbb. plus, security problems will always be present in any web software but using something other than phpbb has the same effect as using a mac - not really more secure but there are a lot less script kiddies that give a shit because the target is so much smaller.

you can get a glimpse of the setup/admin of these (and others) at http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.php . On the lower left, click 'forums'.

will

ps. maybe the rss news/how to should be a new thread? I wonder how many people will miss it tucked away in this thread.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:26 am

will the moor wrote:maybe the rss news/how to should be a new thread? I wonder how many people will miss it tucked away in this thread.
i'm not too into rss personally, i have netnewswire, but never use it. i just assume look at sites when i want to know stuff. it's just another app to have to have open...
with that said, i think most people that *do* use rss, just know to look and see if the rss icon is in the address bar...

thanks for the suggestion though.
also, email me (hillary at tape op dot com) so i remember all your fabulous ideas for the board...

inflatable
pushin' record

Post by inflatable » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:15 am

Just use Google Advanced search and put messageboard.tapeop.com as the Domain name.

Really, any questioned asked these days is answered by saying "use Google."

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:51 am

or just put this after your search term- site:messageboard.tapeop.com

This trick will work on scroogle.org as well...so if you're uncomfortable with Google's data retention policies, cooperation with the repressive Chinese government etc., try Scroogle instead.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:03 pm

I actually wrote a little firefox search plugin for the TOMB but never quite finished it. I'll see where it's at and link it up.