comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:44 pm

I don't mean to come off as a ungrateful a-hole, but the "Missing Avatar" image that now haunts every thread is starting to seriously degrade my desire to read said threads...

Is there any way that a less strident and visually stinging image could be used instead, until the avatar display issue is resolved? Or even delete that image entirely until said resolution?

Once again, sorry for the grump-fest, but seeing that image over and over again makes me feel like I'm walking through a surrealistic No-Smoking landscape...

:P

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:18 pm

We can also maybe voluntarily turn off our avatars until the situation's resolved.

BTW, you shouldn't smoke... :D

tret-lo
gettin' sounds

Post by tret-lo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:38 pm

I have hacked together a javascript fix for avatar resizing that is working for me. Let me know if you have any more problems with avatars (i.e. if the avatars are huge.)

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:51 pm

all i did was adblock the default offsite avatar for this board and my OWN avatar (as well as everyone elses!) came up as normally in my browser.

looks like a board issue to me.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

tret-lo
gettin' sounds

Post by tret-lo » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:05 am

Actually, the ad blocking didn't make the avatars show up. That was just a coincidence. I actually fixed the problem at the same time. (See my post above.)

I can see how the wording of my post, combined with my lack of special moderator status, could have made it seem like I just fixed it for myself. I am the "Ryan" Hillary occasionally refers to. I fix the board when it breaks. I fixed it for everyone, not just me.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:13 am

i sit orthopedically. :wink:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:54 am

tret-lo wrote:Actually, the ad blocking didn't make the avatars show up. That was just a coincidence. I actually fixed the problem at the same time. (See my post above.)

I can see how the wording of my post, combined with my lack of special moderator status, could have made it seem like I just fixed it for myself. I am the "Ryan" Hillary occasionally refers to. I fix the board when it breaks. I fixed it for everyone, not just me.
Cool, any progress on the Login/logout problems?

If you are not logged in you get:
Could not obtain post information

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 3

SELECT DISTINCT topic_id FROM phpbb2_posts WHERE topic_id IN (27896) AND poster_id =

Line : 194
File : functions_topics_list.php

If you click logout you get:

phpBB : Critical Error

Error obtaining user details

DEBUG MODE

SELECT * FROM phpbb2_users WHERE user_id = -1

Line : 457
File : sessions.php

I think we are missing lots of users because it appears that the board is down. Unless they attempt to login.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:31 am

tret-lo wrote:I am the "Ryan" Hillary occasionally refers to. I fix the board when it breaks. I fixed it for everyone, not just me.
who are you? what are you doing? ha...just kidding...thanks for the fix.
the time delay in resizing is weird...will it stay that way?

:mrpink: hillary

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:51 pm

weird but entertaining!

at times i am amused easily.

most of the time, actually. :oops:

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:23 pm

I like the time delay a lot. Especially when that Les Paul guy posts.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:34 pm

is everyone's over-sized avatar costing you guys bandwidth money?

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:31 am

syrupcore wrote:is everyone's over-sized avatar costing you guys bandwidth money?
not as much as references to mammary glands. :wink:

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:52 pm

I don't know of this is possible/feasible, but maybe a script that would automatically downsize the actual avatar file as it's uploaded, to the proper pixel width. In other words, put it through Photoshop, so to speak. Once done, no more worries -- it'll be as if the user resized it to the exact width in Photoshop before uploading. Also, if my experience in graphic design is any indication, they'll look nicer in the browser, too. "Artificially" cramming down a large image into a small space always looks strange... Getting rid of the unused pixels should actually improve display quality...

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:44 pm

wedge wrote:I don't know of this is possible/feasible, but maybe a script that would automatically downsize the actual avatar file as it's uploaded, to the proper pixel width. In other words, put it through Photoshop, so to speak. Once done, no more worries -- it'll be as if the user resized it to the exact width in Photoshop before uploading. Also, if my experience in graphic design is any indication, they'll look nicer in the browser, too. "Artificially" cramming down a large image into a small space always looks strange... Getting rid of the unused pixels should actually improve display quality...
the Photobucket site does that to pics that exceed a certain file size limit, so it IS possible.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:18 pm

but the avatars aren't uploaded. they're served from where ever you have them stored on the interwebs. I'm guessing that's why it has to be done via JS after they've loaded. I'm wondering what's different now though because they used to be resized without seeing it happen.

I wonder if they could just be forced to a certain size via css?