Where is everyone?

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Where is everyone?

Post by RodC » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:56 pm

Is it me or does the traffic seem to be down for the last month or so? Do you think the outage a while back hurt the board?

I wonder if anyone has stats from this time last year to compair to....
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:06 pm

I check in once a day and the average number of posts for the last several months has been ~300 per day. Its been lower lately and has gone WAY down from a few years ago.
my band: Mission 5

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:13 pm

Sorta what I thought, I have been on here for a bit over 2 years, seems like the post count keeps falling.

If you look at the members and sort them by post count, a lot of the top posters havnt been on for a while.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:25 pm

Sorry, I was out back cleaning the grease traps.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:40 pm

The board gets pretty repetitive... same threads over and over. Gets kinda boring. The loss of Off Topic pretty much decimated the board.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:56 pm

ubertar wrote:The board gets pretty repetitive... same threads over and over. Gets kinda boring.
That is so not true. But as long as we are all here talking, can anyone recommend a tube mic pre in the <$150 range? Also would the rnc be a good choice for a mastering my mixes?

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:01 pm

lancebug wrote:That is so not true. But as long as we are all here talking, can anyone recommend a tube mic pre in the <$150 range? Also would the rnc be a good choice for a mastering my mixes?

I actually have a recommendation list for you...

$35.

*Seriously* I've noticed (and lamented) too. Too many people like me: oft lurking and rarely contributing anything useful.

-mad :twisted:
We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:07 pm

rolandk wrote:Its been lower lately and has gone WAY down from a few years ago.
cream always rises.

:mrpink:

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:15 pm

ubertar wrote:The board gets pretty repetitive... same threads over and over. Gets kinda boring. The loss of Off Topic pretty much decimated the board.
I know what you mean, its sorta like reading a magazine about a topic that has been covered.

Everthing turns in to UTFS pretty soon I guess....

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:31 pm

the use of the iron hand by forum mods doesn't help matters much.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:59 pm

madtho wrote: *Seriously* I've noticed (and lamented) too. Too many people like me: oft lurking and rarely contributing anything useful.

-mad :twisted:
ha - i'm totally guilty of that too. checking in pretty frequently and seeing the same threads over and over... feeling like i don't have much to contribute... or when i do have a wierd problem, it seems to be esoteric enough that not many people can help, and i end up figuring it out myself anyway.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:57 pm

RodC wrote:Sorta what I thought, I have been on here for a bit over 2 years, seems like the post count keeps falling.

If you look at the members and sort them by post count, a lot of the top posters havnt been on for a while.
We're mostly where you're invited.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:44 am

On the bright side, maybe people are busier with their own projects or lives than lurking.

Besides, I personally am liking the slightly slower pace. Don't have to check like every hour.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:10 pm

I became really busy in January and then went cold turkey on the TOMB sometime in February. Now I just scroll through every week or so, mostly to find out whether the Beach Boys compilation has been finished (-?)

My strategy for going cold turkey, BTW, was to remove the internet connection from my music computer altogether. I'll probably start serial posting on every thread again sometime this summer or so.

No hard feelings to anybody here, I just felt (like others posting in this thread) that the forum was turning into a bit of an echo chamber and I was running out of things to add to the scene.

I'd bet a lot of the decline in post volume traces directly back to the departure of h*mmert*me this past fall. I think there were times over the past few years when 1/3 or more of the posts at this forum were rebuttals against his flamebaiting rants. (Is he back? He swore he was leaving us for good last time!)