A place to bitch about a TapeOp sale gone sour?

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:35 am

toaster3000 wrote:weah. a whole fucking day late.
Is that pronounced "WEEE - ahhh", "weee - AHHHH", or just "wehhhhhhhhh"?

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:43 am

I really didn't expect so many people here to think that being lied to isn't something to be bothered about.

In our conversations prior to making the deal all the details were made clear. Amount expected, date of drop-off, expected method of shipping, etc. I held up my end by sending the guy money in good faith that he would hold up his end. Why am I being made out to be the bad guy here? When I sell something and the shoe is on the other foot I meet my end of the bargain just the same. I don't make excuses. I do what I say I'm going to do. No matter how inconvenienced I may be. I don't fuck up and then lie about it. I'm sorry but I think you guys have got me all wrong on this one.

As for my comment about Brown. I just threw it in because every person I've met from Brown is the same kind of wiser than you smart mouth snot nosed know-it-all brat style toaster3000 came out with. That's all. Maybe there are some good ones. But I haven't met them.

Also, you guys don't seem to be recognizing that I haven't smeared anyone. I'm not releasing his info or the PM's that clearly show everything I've stated. I haven't smeared anyone. I opened the topic up for discussion to feel out what the community thought. Obviously you guys are sensitive about retaining the freedom to tell a fib. So be it.

I'm getting out of this flame throwing contest. If you want to talk to me like adults I'll be here but as far as I can see it the only whining that has been done here is by the folks that think they are mocking me. When in fact they're really just showing their hands.

I guess trying to get any advice about recording is out of the question for me from now on eh? What a retarded debacle...

It's interesting to note also that the only people mocking are ones with pseudonyms.
Last edited by joelmoore on Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:53 am

Don't. Fuck. With. Philly.
It's meant to be a slight on Brooklyn/Williamsburg. 90% of those people are from other states that they aren't proud of and have thus chosen to say they are from New York. No offense to Philly. It's just a casualty of diaspora.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:54 am

joelmoore wrote:
Don't. Fuck. With. Philly.
It's meant to be a slight on Brooklyn/Williamsburg. 90% of those people are from other states that they aren't proud of and have thus chosen to say they are from New York. No offense to Philly. It's just a casualty of diaspora.
My good friends live in Brooklyn/Williamsburg, toaster3000 is a good guy, and I was making a joke about Philly's underdog status when compared to NYC, and these days, Brooklyn. My friends and I always go back and forth about this.
joelmoore wrote:I guess trying to get any advice about recording is out of the question for me from now on eh? What a retarded debacle...
Nope. I'm sure that it will be just fine. When you have a question, fire away.
It's interesting to note also that the only people mocking are ones with pseudonyms.
I think that, like the sale, you are really reading into this stuff too much.

Jeff
Last edited by Jeff White on Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:56 am

Geographical determinism is alive and well at Tape Op!

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:03 am

I think that, like the sale, you are really reading into this stuff too much.
That is entirely possible. I admit I'm nervous about sending people money over the internet. I've done it several times but this is the first time I felt like I was being lied to. I didn't go nuts here though. I genuinely thought that maybe others on the board might want to be given a heads up. I thought that should they get involved with this person that they may want to know about this situation. But I can see that the consensus is that I'm being premature and that I should give the guy the benefit of the doubt. And that's exactly what I intend to do.

Geez guys...I'm not trying to make any enemies.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:11 am

joelmoore wrote:I really didn't expect so many people here to think that being lied to isn't something to be bothered about.
Sure, it's something to be bothered about. But the deal ended OK, and the seller is the guy to ask about why it went out a day late. Tell him it bugs you and ask him why it didn't go out on Friday. That's a plain question, non-accusatory, and he should be able to give you a plain answer. But that's about as far as you'll be able to take it.
joelmoore wrote:As for my comment about Brown. I just threw it in because every person I've met from Brown is the same kind of wiser than you smart mouth snot nosed know-it-all brat style toaster3000 came out with. That's all. Maybe there are some good ones. But I haven't met them.
Hi. Nice to meet you. Brown grad, Tape Op writer and volunteer going on ten years.

Leigh

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:14 am

I shouldn't be so general in my disdain for types of people. But I really did try to enjoy Williamsburg and its people. I just found so many to be empty yet terribly judgmental.

Like all places there are good and bad people. It is true. But anyone who's ever spent much time over there has to admit that there is an incredibly high concentration of the not so good there. I know I'm not alone in this.
Last edited by joelmoore on Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:18 am

Hi Leigh,

Pleased to make your acquaintance. I'll not from now on accuse Brown Grads of being bad people.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:17 pm

you're freaking out about being "lied to"... I don't even really understand when you were lied to. If someone tells you that they're going to do something, and then they don't end up doing it, it doesn't mean that they were lying when they told you that. Any number of things could have happened to prevent them from doing it.

When you got your tracking info and confronted the seller, he seems to have come clean about being a day late to drop it off.

You don't seem to have been "lied to" in any malicious way at any point in the transaction.

Sounds like you're either overeager to receive your goodies or overparanoid about buying something online. Either way, if you get what you're expecting and it's in good shape, this is not the kind of transaction to get upset about or give someone negative feedback over.

I just feel like you're worked up and have convinced yourself that you've been "lied to" when you really haven't.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:24 pm

joelmoore wrote:
I shouldn't be so general in my disdain for types of people.
Not if you wanna make friends.

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:56 pm

wow.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:12 am

*starts chanting*
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:44 pm

Maybe I shouldn't even bother but I just want you all to know that I admire the collective intelligence of this community greatly. I apologize if I've offended anyone. I honestly thought that I might be helping prevent someone from possibly getting their chain yanked and/or, god forbid, getting ripped off.

I didn't intend to cause or perpetuate any bickering. I should have backed out of the thread at the first sign of it. I admit my fault in being paranoid with online sales. Most of the people I've dealt with have been top notch at follow through. And at making me feel comfortable with sending them a chunk of cash. This was the first time I felt uneasy. Mostly because I was left with the task of chasing down a tracking #. (I waited four days for it after I made my payment.)

I don't think it was wrong of me to inquire from the board their thoughts on this situation. I just should've left the conversation when the thread started getting out of hand. I know better now than to try to explain myself to people who are intensely decided on me and my perspective. I got sucked in a bit and shouldn't have.

I'm really not a bad guy.

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:31 pm

i'm sure you're not a bad guy. same way i am not for being from brooklyn... i just thought you were way overreacting to a somewhat slow shipper and communicator.... people get busy sometimes, and it was more of a red flag to me not to sell anything to you, god forbid i get stuck in the studio for 14 hours and can't make it UPS...

i hope that no-one is actually seriously PISSED in this thread... but i think that you need to realize how having your package shipped a day late and not getting a tracking number until the next monday is SO far from being a bad transaction that it is not even funny... you got it, it shipped within a few days of your paying, and, i assume, it worked.

yay!

the internet has made people so impatient, and i guess we all need to remember that sometimes shit happens. i'm sure the guy felt bad about being a day late on shipping, just like i do if i am running behind on a session and email some rough mixes a day later than i said i would try to get them out... shit happens, the internet just makes it easier for everyone to know that the shit happens.

party time.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/