How did you first hear about Tape Op mag/TOMB?

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:01 pm

RefD wrote:
dwlb wrote:Back in 2000 I took a six-month gig running sound for a cruise ship line that ran cruises from the Straits of Gibraltar to Cape Horn and back. Not a bad gig, wireless mics for 6 singer/actor/dancers in Mickey Mouse/Minnie Mouse/Donald Duck costumes and DAT playback in the afternoon, and a jug band in the evenings. An old Soundcraft 200B board that was similar to the one I'd used in college. You know, the blue and grey one with the red and yellow caps on the knobs. Lots of time off to eat shrimp and flirt with wealthy 55-year-old women. One day, just after leaving port at Punta Arenas, we were beset by pirates. 4 of the actors and I were taken prisoner along with many of the passengers. As fate would have it the pirates had previously captured another cruise ship, one which employed a former member of His Name Is Alive as cruise director. She happened to have a copy of TapeOp #9 (for the Warren Defever article) which I was able to read during our captivity.

Of course, we escaped, by rewiring Minnie and Goofy's wireless mics, which they were still wearing when captured, in order to signal the Chilean Coast Guard. There's more to the story, and it really is quite exciting and fascinating, but the TapeOp thing's really the important part.
you had me going until the bit about the Chilean Coast Guard. :D
I don't think I'd take a boat gig, I'm scared of deep water.

Though I did briefly entertain hanging it all up to become a helicopter pilot this afternoon.

Oddly, parts of that story are true.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:43 pm

In 2001 while looking at used mics at Backstage in Richmond, VA stumbled upon it and had a "what the hell is this?" moment. I think it was issue 19.

To be perfectly honest and not to sound sappy, I don't think I'd be nearly as interested in recording were it not for the mag. And the group.

Gimme a hug.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:15 pm

Can you imagine seeing Issue #23, with a bent/modded Mr Microphone on the cover in any old music store?

It was Main Drag Music, in Brooklyn, when it was on the main drag. I've sold tons of subscriptions since then. I'm an evangelist. I should get a commission. :wink:

-mad
We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:24 pm

Whew - I've no idea. I do remember another techie at the folk club mentioning "Tape Op magazine", but I can't recall if I started with a subscription or got onto the forum first. Both are good, but for my money the forum has been much more educational.

I can say this much - my mic-building career really started with the "$20 TapeOp omni" DIY article. I didn't read it in the magazine, I found it at prosoundweb.com.

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:11 pm

I can't even remember when, but it's been YEARS. It was around the first incarnation of the messageboard and I was seraching for some kind of information. . .hmmm. . .could have been when I was doing some Fender Bassman research. . .I forget. Anyway, I stumbled on a post that didn't really help, but I noticed it had a feww magazine subscription. I signed up and then forgot about it. About a month later my frist issue came in the mail and I was hooked! The I joined the board and the rest is a blur!

-J
HWJLHC?

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:56 pm

I was in a Tower Records (remember them..) and found a magazine with a blue cover with a picture of a monoblock tube amp. I was thinking about getting an old tube stereo at the time so I picked it up. Next thing I know I'm reading about some guy named Tchad Blake and he's sticking microphones in tubes and cans and , well, c'mon, I bought it on the spot!

Later, looking for reviews of something, stumbled on the site, hey that's that cool magazine's site. Woah, look at the green background. Hey, that magazine is free if I subscribe... 8)

Last year at Tape Op SF, I'm trying out expensive mics, and seeing Mr. Rode in person, and getting Manley and Thermionic Culture t shirts and watching Cream in high def, hanging with other recording frea..er, enthusiasts, and handling cool looking ear molds. good times.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:06 am

i read about issue #1 in CMJ. emailed larry telling him how awesome he was and the rest is history.