Not comfortable posting here anymore...

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:13 pm

Come back with an alias that teaches me to say Daking. Da King, as in Da Bears?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:44 pm

It's interesting. I've noticed a WHOLE LOT of new people showing up here lately. And like it's been for years, pretty much any time someone mentions being a new poster, they're greeted with friendly welcomes. I like that. I like that when I go a while without starting one of those "What Did You Work On?" threads, someone else usually does. (Speaking of which...) I love the sense of community here.

I've made a lot of great friends on the board over the years. Some of them are people I wouldn't have gotten to know had I not gone to the TapeOp Conferences and some of them I wouldn't have gotten to know had they not emailed me, called me, bought gear from me, sold gear to me, booked studio time with me, let me book studio time with them, gotten in touch with me when their band was playing in town, come to see me play when my band was playing in their town, sent me their CD to check out, or whatever.

I'm thankful for the community here and I TOTALLY agree that it's about a billion times more civil and non-judgemental than other audio forums. Yeah, we have moderators here and yeah, sometimes people get pissy when the moderators actually do the jobs they were asked to do, but generally, people are well-behaved and frankly, I love it when Thom Yorke or Mr. T. make appearances in the threads. It keeps stuff light.

I'm sorry to see Knights go because he's been around here for a long time. He's not the only one to have disappeared, though, and I'm sure he won't be the last. I'm interested to know why he felt the need to announce it. That sort of thing is always curious to me. In any case, I suppose we won't know if he really is gone, but best wishes to him and I hope he turns up again at some point.

Thanks to the rest of you for sticking around and for sharing your feelings on what's cool about this board. I know it's cheesy as Hell, but it's nice to have these kind of supportive conversations come up every once in a while.

And it's nice to have a "Stripes" joke pop up at the same time.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

arbitropia
audio school graduate

Post by arbitropia » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:13 pm

I'm a frequent lurker and infrequent poster but I find this to be one of the friendliest, most informative, and least intimidating boards around. I'm not really invested in becoming part of the "in crowd" (so to speak) but I really appreciate all the detailed information (and comedy) that fills up the interwebs around here. I've learned a great deal from this board, thanks to everyone for all the info and entertainment!!

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:31 pm

This whole discussion got me thinking about what's good and bad about this board. It seemed like a new topic:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... 475#450475

Feel free to throw in your, uh, $35.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

scott macdonald
takin' a dinner break

Post by scott macdonald » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:43 pm

In my real life, I'm a professional photographer. I read a couple photo-related forums because it's kinda important to my career, but I generally find them to be petty and judgmental and dogmatic and, frankly, stupid.

I can say none of those things about the TOMB, which I read voraciously not just because it relates to my recording hobby, but because I find the people here to be open and kind and funny and clever and creative.

The amount of stuff I know about audio recording could fit in Joel Hamilton's pinky fingernail, but that didn't stop him from responding nicely to my question about a rackmount mixer. I've never met Inverseroom, but when I sent him a PM and asked for some schematics, I had a reply and a link within a couple hours. I've never come face-to-face with the numerous TapeOppers who've given me good deals on used gear, and those transactions have been the most pleasant I've had.

There's a real sense of community here. It's a nice place to hang around.

Long live the TOMB!
-scott

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:45 pm

I'm not leaving, nor did I intend to leave, though I can understand people inferring that from my post. (Funny how the posts went from "I think he's leaving" to "he announced that he left"...just like playing Telephone). I just wanted to air my feelings about the board. There are still good people here.

Where else would I go, anyway? Gearslutz?
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:16 am

Knights Who Say Neve wrote: Where else would I go, anyway? Gearslutz?
GS definitely has a different vibe than here, but it's still a great resource. I'm glad you're sticking around KWSN.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:24 am

Meriphew wrote:
Knights Who Say Neve wrote: Where else would I go, anyway? Gearslutz?
GS definitely has a different vibe than here, but it's still a great resource.
*gasp*

What heresy!

The groupmind banishes you to the wastes!

Seriously though, I'm glad you'll be sticking around, Mr. Knights.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:06 am

Oh, good. Welcome "back"

giuseppe_fl
alignin' 24-trk

Post by giuseppe_fl » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:21 am

I gotta say, I've only been on here in the last month or so, but I've been on ALOT as I've been upgrading my set-up.

This board has been so f*ckin' helpful, I can't even tell ya. There might be a tiny minority of posters who tend towards the rude/know-it-all end of the spectrum, but even seem more than willing to share what they know.... And that's a great, generous thing to do.

Here's a quick "thanks" to everybody who posts on here.