Voting on responses

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

Should TOMB members be able to vote on posts?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 11

antilog
george martin

Voting on responses

Post by antilog » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:39 pm

Man do I wish we could vote on responses. I do.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:58 pm

or if we had a foe list.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Re: Voting on responses

Post by JGriffin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:02 pm

antilog wrote:Man do I wish we could vote on responses. I do.
Why?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:22 pm

You mean like digg style where we thumbs up or thumbs down a given response and it rises or falls accordingly on the list?

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:20 pm

Well, more like so people can see how much they suck. Like on YouTube, I just like being able to rate a response. Maybe it's useless activity, but it would give me satisfaction. Hmm. Maybe I should just zoom out a bit.

This is just an amazingly helpful board, and there's some folks on here that just ruin it. I see their ID and just stop reading the post all together, because I know 100% that if I keep reading it will just be reading an ego war.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:37 pm

A rating system certainly won't make it a better board. If there are certain people you don't like voice your opinion or avoid the post.
There are people I surely dislike on the but everyone comes up with a good post once and awhile that's worth reading and absorbing their experience. From novice to pro. Even if you have to wade through some crap.

It's just the internet.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:09 pm

Dude, I'm sorry you don't like my posts.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:34 pm

ysyrtypy wrote:Dude, I'm sorry you don't like my posts.
that goes double for me.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:45 am

if it really bothers you then contact a moderator, that's what i've done before. not sure if anyone actually gets banned on here though.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:10 am

dwlb wrote:
antilog wrote:Man do I wish we could vote on responses. I do.
Why?
I think that it'd be a great idea. Especially on a board like this. People around here seem to feel that answering posts is somehow a way to gain credibility or respect from other users in the community. So, we end up with a significant number of responses where people will relay things that they've heard or read, but often don't understand or have any actual experience with. Now, they won't let you know that they don't understand or have any experience with it. That would defeat the purpose of answering to earn respect. So, you get a lot of people acting like they know what they're talking about. A recent thread where some users were blaming "latency" for pops and clicks in audio, comes to mind.

It would be nice to be able to indicate to other users who are looking for good info, that these posts are full of shit, without having to personally call them out and tell them that they're full of shit. I always feel like such an asshole when I do that.

But, the problem with ranking posts is evident in the original poster's response to your question... that is, people would use the post ranking system to rank users, rather than posts. People would use it to express their distaste for PEOPLE, rather than posts.

I think that a combination of a post ranking system and an "ignore user" feature, would go a long way towards ridding this board of nonsense shit-stirring posts and bad info from users pretending to know what they're talking about.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:42 am

subatomic pieces wrote:But, the problem with ranking posts is evident in the original poster's response to your question... that is, people would use the post ranking system to rank users, rather than posts. People would use it to express their distaste for PEOPLE, rather than posts.
So when people start to see that so many of their posts are unappreciated, they might get the hint? I don't see a problem with that.
I think that a combination of a post ranking system and an "ignore user" feature, would go a long way towards ridding this board of nonsense shit-stirring posts and bad info from users pretending to know what they're talking about.
I guess that is a problem. I guess a major problem I've been seeing is self-centered anti-community egomaniacs killing and derailing threads.

I do think the "ignore user" feature would be better than a post voting system.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:47 am

antilog wrote: So when people start to see that so many of their posts are unappreciated, they might get the hint? I don't see a problem with that.
They won't get the hint. If they're posting to make themselves feel like a big fish or to inflate their ego they won't care about being ignored. Often they just post with their opinion and move on. They drop the duece and don't flush. They're not interested in the discussion.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:02 am

exactly. the kind of people who do that shit aren't the kind of people who will take a hint very easily. they know exactly what they're doing and they know exactly how much it's NOT APPRECIATED.

rating posts should be about the community qualifying the INFORMATION in the post... it's not really an appropriate tool to voice your opinion about HOW the information is shared or the attitudes of posters.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:07 am

Which is why I think we should be able to ignore users.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:14 am

antilog wrote:Which is why I think we should be able to ignore users.
To be honest, I'm kind of embarrassed to be asking for an "ignore user" function. I'm an adult, and I shouldn't need a computer application to be able to ignore users who are looking for trouble. Unfortunately, I get sucked in pretty easy.
antilog wrote:I see their ID and just stop reading the post all together, because I know 100% that if I keep reading it will just be reading an ego war.
This is probably the best bet. It's what I try (often unsuccessfully) to do.