Test Tone Strangeness... Help Identify the problem. please!?

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

Bailersthehobbit
audio school

Test Tone Strangeness... Help Identify the problem. please!?

Post by Bailersthehobbit » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:03 pm

I have been restoring a Fostex R8. I am a newb with Tape machines, and felt that this machine was a great way to start learning about tape... Not realizing that every problem that COULD possible occur with a tape machine, DID actually occur. WHICH is a great way to learn about every aspect of these mysterious machines.

Now that I have repaired every part that I think could possibly be repaired I have found a new problem that I am having problems identifying.
When I put tones through it and record them, there is a noticeable low frequency blip.
Check what I am talking about in this sample. Also when I pump 10khz through it becomes very jittery.
http://www.terminatorsmile.com/Tones.wav

I Have aligned it as best as I have been able to do without an MRL alignment tape. It costs about half of what I paid for this machine. (I'd rather buy a better machine then spend the money on the tape)

BUT when I put an entire mix through the blips are not noticeable AT ALL and same with the high frequency flutter/jitter. At one point I wanted to say that that was an effect of the tape compression, but after spending much time with it and researching, I realize that that probably isn't it.

Any help identifying these artifacts would be insanely helpful