TOMB outage, online presence

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

antilog
george martin

TOMB outage, online presence

Post by antilog » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:03 am

I find TOMB to be a valuable resource - I have learned quite a bit from its community, and hopefully contributed a bit myself. The board has been extremely slow loading for as long as I can remember, and had a recent outage. Is there anything TOMB members can do to help?

I was concerned that TOMB was offline for a couple days, and no communication on the TapeOp Blog, Twitter account, or Facebook account. Is this a statement against digital efforts, that we should rely on analog media?
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:20 am

For me, the outage only served to underscore the incredible "uptime" that TOMB has experienced since the last revision. You kindof take it for granted until it's gone.

Bravo Hillary, Larry, et. al.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:23 am

I guess what it take for granted is projects that are available and communicate with their community. Perhaps a symptom of modern social networking...
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:35 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:For me, the outage only served to underscore the incredible "uptime" that TOMB has experienced since the last revision. You kindof take it for granted until it's gone.

This. There's, like, three people running the joint and they all have full-time jobs in addition to keeping this messageboard going.

I've missed it the last day or two but there's no point in complaining when something cool I get for free goes away temporarily. Glad it's back.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:38 am

dwlb wrote:
Snarl 12/8 wrote:For me, the outage only served to underscore the incredible "uptime" that TOMB has experienced since the last revision. You kindof take it for granted until it's gone.

This. There's, like, three people running the joint and they all have full-time jobs in addition to keeping this messageboard going.

I've missed it the last day or two but there's no point in complaining when something cool I get for free goes away temporarily. Glad it's back.
Which is why I asked if there is anything we can do to help :) There are a lot of free projects that perform well and have strong communication with their community.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:45 am

antilog wrote:
dwlb wrote:

Which is why I asked if there is anything we can do to help :) There are a lot of free projects that perform well and have strong communication with their community.
It's a good point, that I generally agree with. I'm a huge fan of open source software, for example. And I think a well maintained community project can be a beautiful and amazing thing. But I think maintaining that support community is a big job that requires a set of skills that are distinct from web design/publishing and audio engineering. I think Hilary and Larry avoid asking for that kind of help because they see managing that help as a less fun and much harder job than just doing it themselves. Have you ever managed people? Have you ever managed volunteers or interns or otherwise unpaid help? It can totally suck balls if you don't have a great program in place for harnessing all that willpower to create a product that is up to a certain standard. Having made that decision, we just have to deal with the awesome, but maybe not perfect, things that they provide us with. Or, as Larry always says - "go start your own." That always sounds kindof snarky to me when he puts that out there, but I don't think he means it that way, mostly. He went and did it, so he's giving you the benefit of the doubt that you can too.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:42 pm

at some point sunday night/monday morning is when it happened - and it wasn't on us... it was something weird with the company that hosts the board.
thanks for the kind words, and yes, there are exactly 3 of us that run the whole tapeop.com online world.
:)

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:50 pm

Glad you're/we're back! 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:04 pm

It never hurts to email one of us if you notice the board being offline. I didn't know until this morning, as I was in transit.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com