Rant: for sale items policies/new forum users

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Rant: for sale items policies/new forum users

Post by kslight » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:20 pm

Am I the only person getting tired of people with very little or no posting history on this forum spamming with items for sale...not to mention not even bothering to put it in the BST area? I place my vote for a policy of a minimum number of posts to put something for sale here.

Also would like to see a cut down of the number of "bumps" one can give their item, a maximum of one active for sale thread per user (to cut down on some users having a dozen threads that all get bumped at the same time), a definitive asking price required (with offers to be negotiated of course), and location of item required. No threads that link straight to eBay or Craigslist either...

Please confirm or deny your level of irritation with the abusers of TOMB's liberal posting policies.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:34 pm

+1
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:58 pm

BTW it is not my intention to create more work for our moderators, hoping there are some things which can be automated? I think for the most part TOMB is great, don't want to see it turn into Spamlist you know... Just the BST is hard to use right now and I don't cycle through pages to look at items for sale, and I think that people will be less inclined to "bump" if the bs has been filtered out. These for sale posting policies that I have suggested seem fairly standard amongst other forums.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:00 pm

Easiest way to fend off spammers is to ignore them.

I generally start looking when someone has at least 100 posts. It also pays to research past posts- if someone's difficult, you'll know :)

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:30 am

I'm going to have to mostly agree with kayagum on this one, in part because he has one of my favorite Steinbeck quotes in his sig.

I don't really have a problem with lurkers or first-time posters trying to sell stuff on the board, but maybe I'm alone on that one. If a post is obviously spam, I think they get pretty efficiently ignored, made fun of, or removed. Spam posts are one of the few areas where forums tend to be pretty good at self-policing.

Maybe I could get behind you on limiting how frequently posters can bump their own threads though. I guess I haven't noticed. Has it really been a big issue? If yes, I could see it getting limited to once a day or once a week in that section with no one complaining. Of course we'd have to ask Hillary if that's even possible.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:21 pm

*calls waaaaambulance for kslight*

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:31 am

On the bitchin' tip, it's annoying to see relatively new posters putting common stuff up starting with Ebay high-bid prices.

I mean, if yer unknown and alla that, why would I pay you high, without at least the minimal protection Ebay & Paypal give?

Now, get offa my lawn! :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:46 am

If you guys don't wanna buy their stuff, then don't buy it.

Does it really inconvenience you that much to read, and then disregard a thread?!?!

I, for one, hope that if someone's grandma is going through the attic and finds an old u47, and is told to post it here because this community might be interested, that I'm the first to see the thread and make an offer.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:24 am

trodden wrote:*calls waaaaambulance for kslight*
*hopes it picks up VVV as well*

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:25 am

chris harris wrote:If you guys don't wanna buy their stuff, then don't buy it.

Does it really inconvenience you that much to read, and then disregard a thread?!?!

I, for one, hope that if someone's grandma is going through the attic and finds an old u47, and is told to post it here because this community might be interested, that I'm the first to see the thread and make an offer.
Life must be hard here on TOMB for some people.. all these posts! all these threads by newbs! OMG!!! We should establish some sort of hierarchy!! OMG!!!!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:21 am

While I acknowledge (and I already acknowledged) my grumpiness, that doesn't mean the bitchin' ain't valid, but I'm glad yer holier-than-thou-ness makes ya feel good, so good ya even double-post the inanity. And BTW, it's not the inconvenience of reading stuff, it's the frustration of too many of the sellers' annoying bumps of their over-priced wares, which are being bumped because they aren't selling because they are over-priced.

That said, I hope mebbe some who do/will post in the For Sale forum take note of the comments.

I s'pose I should note that I've spent a little over $550 on stuff from there in the last 6 months (a Senn E609, some tubes, and an 1176 clone - great stuff! 8) ), where I "knew of" the seller and the prices were fair.

In the same period, I'm sure I spent a cuppla grand off of Ebay.

So stay offa my lawn! :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:34 am

I am totally guilty as sin regarding bumping 10 times. But in the end I sold most of my stuff that way.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:13 pm

If bumping didn't work, none of us would be here.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:12 pm

Let's all fight. Monkey style.

3:00 at the flagpole.

GJ

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:45 pm

vvv wrote:While I acknowledge (and I already acknowledged) my grumpiness, that doesn't mean the bitchin' ain't valid, but I'm glad yer holier-than-thou-ness makes ya feel good, so good ya even double-post the inanity. And BTW, it's not the inconvenience of reading stuff, it's the frustration of too many of the sellers' annoying bumps of their over-priced wares, which are being bumped because they aren't selling because they are over-priced.

That said, I hope mebbe some who do/will post in the For Sale forum take note of the comments.

I s'pose I should note that I've spent a little over $550 on stuff from there in the last 6 months (a Senn E609, some tubes, and an 1176 clone - great stuff! 8) ), where I "knew of" the seller and the prices were fair.

In the same period, I'm sure I spent a cuppla grand off of Ebay.

So stay offa my lawn! :twisted:
I am way holier than you and your bitchy crabby ass.