And now, ...

... it's martoonie time! :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:16 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:Let's all fight. Monkey style.

3:00 at the flagpole.

GJ

Let's just bump, bonobo style, at the, um, flagpole.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:53 am

Ah mang, I'd love to, but my arse apparently has crabs ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:02 pm

Bump

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:47 pm

You know Carl, I almost made a bonobo joke, in your honor, but I held back. Lo and behold...

GJ

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:00 pm

... and bumps. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Zacharia Matilda
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Zacharia Matilda » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:37 pm

As someone new to this forum (have been reading for years...just joined) I was ready to take issue with the o.p. I have never tried to sell anything here, but I am glad that there are little to no requirements to do so. I have not posted much on this forum, mostly because I have more to learn than I have wisdom to impart.

But the original post can be seen as fair warning to other newbs... Joining this forum and then spamming with product will not only seem crass and cynical, it will be noticed and you will be marginalized. That in and of itself would be enough to keep it from happening in a perfect world. As far as online "communities" go, this one is pretty great. Not to mention that there are places online totally devoted to selling yer crap.

Sellers...if noone's buying, lower your price or keep your stuff. Bumping ad nauseum is just going to annoy the neighbors.
dehumidified

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:49 am

For some reason someone was compelled to dig this old thread up, so I thought I'd clarify because no one appears to have actually read my original post before providing their input:

I'm not bothered by new forum members, I am bothered by people who join for the SOLE purpose of attempting to sell their wares, with no value to the community other than to make items for sale by actual members less visible...which in turn creates the second problem discussed...excessive bumping. I believe that if the policy for posting for sale items was more moderated (or even automated just to require someone be a member for x amount of time and make x amount of posts before being allowed to post a new thread in the BST) the excessive bumping would nearly be eliminated.

That is all. Now let this thread die if you don't agree with me.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:23 pm

As long as they use the appropriate forum, I don't care if they participate in the board otherwise. I don't view listings by forum regulars as any more worthy of my consideration. I wouldn't assign any less value to a classified ad just because someone had never written a letter to the editor.

If you disagree with me, please keep it to yourself. ;)

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:21 pm

Not posting to be disagreeable, but as I said above, for me I either wanna know they are part of the community or otherwise credentialed, or I'd have to be betting on a really good deal, and be prepared to lose.

I've been burned 3 times in about 30 purchases on Evilbog and it was only the Evilbog/Paypill protections that let me straighten those things out.

When I see someone with just a cuppla posts here bumping away on a going-price item ...

OK, I'm gonna go rake my lawn. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:14 pm

kslight wrote:I am bothered by people who join for the SOLE purpose of attempting to sell their wares, with no value to the community other than to make items for sale by actual members less visible
I offer no value to the community and don't even sell anything!

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:35 am

Zacharia Matilda wrote:I have never tried to sell anything here, but I am glad that there are little to no requirements to do so.
actually, yes, there are rules about posting to try and sell your stuff.
it's not allowed.

everyone should re-read our posting rules, particularly #6:
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/postingrules.html

that states:
6. DO NOT post anything that is essentially an ad for your services, your studio, your school, your products, etc. If you want to advertise on the board, this is NOT the way to do it. Get in touch with us about our ad rates.

i get plenty of 'report this post' emails about people trying to sell their stuff. the problem is that they don't know they can't because they don't take the time to read the rules. *that*'s what bothers me.

so... it's helpful to us moderators (mainly me who mod's the buy/sell/trade forum) if you guys will comment politely and tell these people to re-read the posting rules and then hit the 'report this post' icon (the exclamation point).

and it's not always new members.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:07 pm

?????

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:15 pm

Thought this whole thread was about using the B/S/T forum for "classified" type listings.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:44 pm

kslight wrote:I am bothered by people who join for the SOLE purpose of attempting to sell their wares, with no value to the community other than to make items for sale by actual members less visible...which in turn creates the second problem discussed...excessive bumping. I believe that if the policy for posting for sale items was more moderated (or even automated just to require someone be a member for x amount of time and make x amount of posts before being allowed to post a new thread in the BST) the excessive bumping would nearly be eliminated.

nope, it's about people selling stuff commercially, not classifieds-style which is what this forum is *supposed* to be used for.