Has TOMB been really slow lately?

comments or issues with this board

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

JGriffin
zen recordist

Has TOMB been really slow lately?

Post by JGriffin » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:36 pm

...or is it just me? Pages were taking up to ten minutes to load last night. TOMB is consistently the slowest site I visit, and has been for months now.

Or am I just crazy?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:47 pm

I have experienced the same.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:17 pm

Yep, same here. Was really slow for a bit yesterday, but has been consistently slow for a few months now.

Specifically when I go to load, I get the "waiting for messageboard.tapeop.com" notice for about 12-15 seconds before the page starts to load. Once it starts to load it seems to happen pretty quickly, ie, as normal relative to other sites.

IDQ
alignin' 24-trk

Post by IDQ » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:45 am

Yeah, it seems slower ever since the site went to all analog. The warmth is totally worth it though.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:32 am

It's the "Megaboard." The coding for that seems to not be very optimized compared to the rest of it. Try clicking on "Megaboard" and then click on "gear talk." Or an individual topic. It's always been like that, as far as I can remember. My guess is that every time someone hits "megaboard" code combs through all those different topics and compiles a custom list. This is probably an addon/plugin type thing for the messageboard that might not have been as professionally coded as the messageboard itself.

I take the hit on time, because it's worth it to me to have all those topics consolidated. I click "megaboard," take a sip of tea, and then start reading the TOMB, not that huge of a deal, although I wish someone would take a peek at the PHP code, just to see if something glaringly obvious could be optimized there. I also wonder if some sort of caching scheme might help, but I've been out of the PHP game for a while now.

This messageboard is probably on a shared server, with something like 128 megabytes of dedicated RAM and 1/5,000th of a CPU core devoted to its business. It performs pretty admirably, considering the circumstances.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:33 pm

Seems fine now, was a bit slow earlier this week.

I've always been just a mega board and BST viewer. As light on activity as the forum is, it makes more sense to me just to consolidate into those two topics, IMHO. It was the latter, actually, that I expected this thread to be about, rather than the server speed...