Noise from USB mic rig

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Noise from USB mic rig

Post by bluesman » Thu May 20, 2021 6:59 am

I recently tried using my Sennheiser 421 for recording onto a laptop, using the latest Adobe Audition. I purchased an xlr to usb cable on Amazon and hooked it up. Result, extremely low volume, so I ran the mic through a Groove Tubes The Brick and now I have plenty of audio but there is a gritty background noise that is unacceptable. I can sample the noise and filter it out (Audition is great for this) and it sounds good, except the audio now has a really nice reverb added to the signal. I am not using any effects at all, and I am recording spoken word, so no amplifier hash or background noise is present while recording. What is going on here?
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Re: Noise from USB mic rig

Post by bluesman » Thu May 20, 2021 7:15 am

I will add, that I have been using a different Sennheiser headset mic with absolutely no issues. I was just trying to kick up the vocal quality with a better mic, also I just wanted to use some different mics, and select a "best choice".

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Re: Noise from USB mic rig

Post by bluesman » Thu May 20, 2021 8:40 am

Who knew??? Gooogle, thats who. I was able to solve the problem by moving the mic to a different USB port. I hope this will help someone else.

cheers!