FS: 1" MRL Multifrequency Calibration Test Tape

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

FS: 1" MRL Multifrequency Calibration Test Tape

Post by Family Hoof » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:30 pm

This tape is sealed and has never been used. $200 or best offer, shipping included.

MRL Catalog 41J226 - Serial# 101 738
15 in/s (380 mm/s)
EQ = IEC1 (same as CCIR or DIN), ideal for semi-pro multitracks such as the venerable Tascam MS-16
Ref Fluxivity = 250 nWb/m
multifrequency @ 0 dB

Frequencies = 78 sec of 1kHz at beginning and end, plus 68 seconds of 10kHz and 15 to 30 seconds of 500Hz, 8k, 16k, 500Hz, 31.5Hz, 63Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 10k, 12.5k, & 16kHz in between. *ALL frequencies RECORDED AT 0dB for convinience. MUCH easier to read on the VU meters than -10dB, especially if you're doing overbias.

PLEASE READ: (useful information below)

MRL still sells this same tape for $400 and the absolute least you can get from them these days in the 1" department is a signle frequency 1kHz reel for $215 such as catalog #441-560-110-509. Considering the inherent nonlinearities and poor signal-to-noise ratio associated with fitting so many tracks on 1" of tape, 1kHz won't get you very far in obtaining flat response. I've worked on an MS-16 before, aligning it to the standard 100Hz, 1kHz, and 10kHz and the resulting repro of some recorded material came back sounding very different than what went in. With enough tweaking of the EQ/bias pots and a good multifrequency calibration tape and oscilator, however, this can be compensated for and yield incredible results. Even with a lower track count, a calibration tape with so many tones like this one is the best way to set for flat response.

Also, note that IEC1 which is identical to the CCIR and DIN equalization standards has been said to possess superior charateristics over the NAB standard for 15 ips, providing more overall headroom due to the lack of LF boost and better HF response. All MRL tapes are full track and fringing compensated so that this can be used on any 1" machine, whether it's a 1, 2, 8, 16, or 24, track format and anything in between.

THE CATCH: (important)

So here's the drawback and why I'm selling this thing so cheap. Though never used, it was made in December 1989. While MRL guarantees their tapes for at least a few years and it is highly unikely that the tape's response has changed at all in this period of time, I CANNOT GUARANTEE AGAINST SHEDDING. However, due the fact that BASF 911 type stock was used to make this MRL instead of Ampex 406 it is likely that the shedding will not be so big a problem. In fact, I recently used an identical 1/2" MRL tape from 1989 and while it did leave a mess on the heads after the first pass and squeak a bit (mechanical noise), the tones played perfectly to specification and it has behaved quite normally since. There was no peeling of the binding or anything severe enough to merit baking, etc.

**Shedding is a characteristic exhibited by ALL types of tape eveytime you play them. It usually occurs in the form of small, black oxide particles sticking to the tape path. This does not damage your tape machine, only the tape itself, and the oxide is easily cleaned with isopropyl alcohol. But remeber, NO alcohol on the pinch roller unless it's an approved all purpose cleaner type.**

Once again I will emphasize. Due to the age of this otherwise brand new tape, I am letting it go for a lot less than it's worth and cannot guarantee it won't shed to some degree. "AS IS", the risk is yours.

honeytone
studio intern

Re: FS: 1" MRL Multifrequency Calibration Test Tape

Post by honeytone » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:54 pm

Just sent you a pm on it, I need this badly. Thanks.
If an idea is at first not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
- Albert Einstein