desperately seeking mixer

otter
audio school graduate

desperately seeking mixer

Post by otter » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:55 pm

oh but not just any mixer! i'm looking for a 19"rack mountable, 16 channel mixer, preferably not a digital board but digital output options are a plus. it doesn't need to have busses or groups but a pair of aux sends would be great. (people have tried to steer me toward the yamaha o1n but it is way more than i need despite the cheap price of 1800). i currently use the TL Audio M-3 tube tracker (8channel) and am looking to step up track number for my remote studio. real estate on stage is an issue which is why i would really like it to be rack mountable. i wish the TL people made a 16 channel version of the m-3 but alas, they do not.

even if you are not selling what i am looking for but you know of something that fits the description please let me know, this has been a surprisingly hard thing to find.

tomasz
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: desperately seeking mixer

Post by tomasz » Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:29 pm

not sure what "quality " of a mixer are you looking to get but...
Mackie 1604 will fit int the 19" rack and so will Midas 160 (venice or somthing like that) and A&H Mix Wizzard (i think 12 ch mic pre +2 stereo line ins). You have to have factory made rack hardware to fit above mentioned into the rack. There might be an A&H for sale at my job so let me know if interested and I will find out the price.But if Real Estate is an issue and if you are using your gear for recording only why not use the rack mountable preamps. So many of them around now ( presonus, Sytek, TRUE, ATI) Some have Digital outs, some have 2 bus mix capability...and you can have 16 ch of mic pres with as little as 2 rack spaces.
O1V will do everything you need, but I am not sure of the mic pre quality. I personally own a Yamaha 4416 and I think the pres on it are not so great. But honestly, I only tried it once and I ended up using external preamps to record so my opinion might not be fair.

good luck
tom

pieter
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by pieter » Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:36 pm

Sounds like a Mackie 1604VLZ is out, but if you change your mind, I'm about to sell one...with rack ears.

I know Speck used to make a rackmount 16 channel mixer. Line in only though I think; no pres, although I could be wrong. If it's to their standard of quality, that would be a nice mixer for sure. Check it out if you can...maybe you can find one used.

Angie
gettin' sounds

Post by Angie » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:40 am

The Mackie Onyx 1640 is looking interesting. Much like a 1604 but with 16 direct outs and a firewire card option. Its about twice the price of 1604 and the firewire is an "available soon" option. Who knows how well the firewire will work at this point. I'll be watching and waiting though.

PETERPAN2
audio school

Post by PETERPAN2 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:21 pm

You can buy a 16 chanals Alle&Heath Wizard board...and there greath