dynaco pas-3 tube preamp hi-fi stereo thingy

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

dynaco pas-3 tube preamp hi-fi stereo thingy

Post by eeldip » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:09 am

its a classic. works fine, i used it as my main home stereo preamp for a few years.

basically its a simple tube preamp with tube EQs. two MICROPHONE inputs (you just need to get an XLR to RCA cable). these are called "special". microphones are special: see!

its totally stock; so as you can expect, you might want to recap the black cats in it etc. it has some minor "issues" which you would come to expect from something this old that is still stock. (the eq section behaves oddly sometimes)

but its all working, passes signal fine... so if right away you want a cool tube preamp for you stereo, you got it. but it can also be used as a mod project.

search them out on ebay... i am looking for $125, which after a "completed items" search i did a few seconds ago is cheaper than the cheapest one i saw.

or a trade or a combination trade/cash. make an offer.

Slider
george martin

Re: dynaco pas-3 tube preamp hi-fi stereo thingy

Post by Slider » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:00 am

The stereo I grew up listening to was a full Dynaco system.
I loved the fuzz with 10 second fade in when you powered it up.
That thing sounded so good.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:57 pm

Slider wrote:The stereo I grew up listening to was a full Dynaco system.
I loved the fuzz with 10 second fade in when you powered it up.
That thing sounded so good.
same thing when you power down.. i love that fade out. it takes so long... and dissolves into awesome fuzz.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:42 am

What have you replaced the dynaco with, Mr. "Wicked-Mod" Eeldip?
beware bee wear

Wild Bill
pushin' record

Post by Wild Bill » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:00 am

You can still get Dynaco parts at Triode Electronics in Chicago, in case someone is worried about the longetivity of their purchase. At one time Dynaco was in the same quality tier as McIntosh.

I've been buying tubes, transformers and other parts from Triode for about 25 years or so. Good people, brick and mortar store vs just internet presence, no BS.

http://store.yahoo.com/triodeel/index.html
Bill~~~

hulahalau
gettin' sounds

Post by hulahalau » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:17 pm

This is a GREAT deal. My intermediate and high schools both had Dynaco gear, with Empire turntables, and Wharfedale!!!! speakers with sand-filled cabinet walls (double-walled, in other words).

You should, however, be prepared to do a lot of work, at last replacing the PS caps, and perhaps some of the resistors - you can replace them with new carbon comp, if you want to keep the tone.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:04 am

joeysimms wrote:What have you replaced the dynaco with, Mr. "Wicked-Mod" Eeldip?
a hafler dh-110. its solid state (tubes scare me to wicked mod- soundguy has convinced me that i will DIE if i touch anything tube). designed by the same dude.

its pretty cool sounding, less "present" than the dynaco which has this kinda neat curve to it that works really well with certain speakers.

the dh-110 sounds better with my speakers (http://www.kef.com/history/1990_2/q_series/Q15.htm). those KEFs are already lean pretty heavy to the mids in a cool way (good speakers if you like guitars and snares and vocals to pop out of a mix). but with the dynaco.. its too much.

i imagine that the dynaco had 60's speakers in mind when it was designed.