WTB Stereo Spring reverb

halzburt
audio school

WTB Stereo Spring reverb

Post by halzburt » Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:59 pm

I'm looking for a stereo spring reverb with line inputs and outs.

Gargantuan Sound
audio school

Re: WTB Stereo Spring reverb

Post by Gargantuan Sound » Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:09 am

Hi Halzburt,

without blowing my own horn too much we distribute a fantastic spring reverb called the HDB Audio TSR-3.

Its special because it has added valve/tube preamps. The unit can be also used as a tube mic pre / instrument preamp etc. It features a mono input and stereo outputs.

It also uses the vintgae styled tube "magic eyes", a 60's style input meter.

For further information see www.gargantuansound.com and take a look under HDB Audio.

Regards

Karl
Gargantuan Sound

konabuzz
takin' a dinner break

Post by konabuzz » Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:53 am

Check Ebay from time to time for a Tapco 4400 spring reverb....It's two channel in/out which I prefer more than mono in/ stereo out. They go for cheap (got mine for $50.00) and they have a cool preamp stage that can be overloaded for very cool effects. It can also sound very clean and has a very smooth tail. Big VU meters are a nice touch, also. It's not of the "quality" of the above mentioned 'verb, but it's not bad, either. Furman makes a stereo spring, the Rv-2, I believe -- a little more rare, and you'll pay for it, too......Good luck!

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/ ... rb-01.html

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Post by Kyle » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:04 am

This came for a post form Tony Moore, it called toob stuff or something.

furman rv-2 stereo spring reverb in perfect condition, with limiter, eq with sweepable mids, treble, in level, direct level, reverb level. mono 1/4" i/o's but also has breakout panel for adding balanced xlr i/o's. very cool unit. $150
Kyle

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:06 am

karl, that is so cool you guys use magic eye tubes.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

tony moore
pushin' record

Post by tony moore » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:52 pm

thanks the plug kyle!

yep, i'm selling my furman stereo spring reverb. here's the thread:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=3115

thanks,

tony

Gargantuan Sound
audio school

Post by Gargantuan Sound » Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:03 am

The Furman is a veryz nice spring unit, no toobs though! Not that its a bad unit because I have one and they are nice.

Alex - The magic eyes are a very nice touch. Imagine how they look with 6 units on top of each other!

Cheers

Gargantuan Sound
audio school

Post by Gargantuan Sound » Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:06 am

Hey Kyle,

I've just seen you page , what do you make of the Oktava ML 52 ribbon mic?

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:36 am

The RV-2 is a great sounding spring reverb. I got very lucky and got mine on eBay for $46.00, but that was a steal. I seriously considered buying Tony's - at $150.00 it's a good deal. You might also want to look for an old AKG reverb. I recently got a BX-10. It need a little work, but all told, even with a complete overhaul by Stephen Sank, it ended up costing $339.00. I don't know what your budget is, but there are some great deals floating around if you search for them.
Good luck,
Mark

Gargantuan Sound
audio school

Post by Gargantuan Sound » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:47 am

Yes the AKG is really the daddy of spring reverbs, at least here in England/Europe.

The larger BX20 units in wooden cases are brilliant. The BX5 is the smaller rackmount version. Another rackmount version is the BX10 that was used on the White Stripes Elephant album at Toe Rag studios in London because Liam's plate rev was broken at the time..

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:02 pm

Unless AKG produced a different version of it, the BX-10 was not a rack mount unit. It came in a black tolex covered case that is approx. 17"w x 12"h x 20"d. You can see an image of it here.

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Post by Kyle » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:36 pm

Hi Gargantuan

I like the ML-52 a lot, esp. on electric guitar. When I use this on guitar, it sounds just like the source. I have limited experience with ribbons, but for the price (I paid 249.00) It's amazing. Sounds nice as the fig 8 in a MS set up for drums too.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread.

Tony, I would buy that spring reverb myself if I had the extra clams.
Kyle

Gargantuan Sound
audio school

Post by Gargantuan Sound » Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:54 am

Hi rhythm ranch,

my AKG BX-10 was a 2U rack mount unit, I sold it a few months ago.

AKG did make a BX-10 II, which may have been the the successor from the rack mount version.

see this pic
http://www.insta-fame.com/images/akgrev.JPG

Maybe my version was a modification I'm not quite sure!

Hi Kyle,

that is very interesting to hear your comments on the Oktava. I haven't tried one yet but I am a big fan of ribbon mics. I have a lot of old British makes. I will becoming a dealer for Oktava and wanted to find out what some users think of it.

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:22 am

Hi all, and Hi Karl!

I'd just like to second the hdb audio tsr 3 spring reverb,i bought one,it's awesome. And the added valve pre amp is a real bonus,the magic eye that uses the old Telefunken valve is really the icing on the cake of this amazing unit.

I've just finished recording a band and put the hdb unit to good use on a lot of the traks,absolutley brilliant!!, i fired the kick drum through the valve pre with my a.k.g. d112,and the bass drum just sounded fantastic,and it helped breath new life into the old "egg' 112 sound as well!!.. thanks a lot for your help finding this unit Karl and i hope this post finds you happy and well mate?!.

And as a user of the afore mentioned verb' i would highly!! recommend them to anyone who likes that spring sound.

Al

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:53 am

halzburt wrote:I'm looking for a stereo spring reverb with line inputs and outs.
I don't know if you ever found what you were looking for, but here's an AKG BX5 on eBay.