WTB: monitor stands

MitoPro
alignin' 24-trk

WTB: monitor stands

Post by MitoPro » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:03 am

looking for monitor/speaker stands for my home studio. I'd like to get the monitors off the table and isolated on their own stands. Nothing fancy, just studry enough to hold powered Alesis M1's (not very large or heavy).

Looking for used to save a couple of bucks.

If you have or know of a pair for sale PM me.

Thanks, Matt

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Re: WTB: monitor stands

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:44 am

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:36 am

hey - perhaps not exactly what yer looking for - but after seeing the nutso prices on speaker stands and not wanting to use my 'professional ironing board speaker stand' set up anymore anymore i took a tip from a rap guy and bought cinder blocks to use- stack em 2 across and 4 or 5 high and slap some foam (i have to find the right type as the stuff i got sinks too easy) up top and they kinda rock...20 bucks total...ugly now but i'm painting them mauve or olive green to go with my 50's slab house...great ghetto solution for the stay at home type...

Mike

MitoPro
alignin' 24-trk

Post by MitoPro » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:06 am

Thanks for the suggestion bigtoe. I've used cinder blocks before (in combination with a small shelf unit) and they worked great. But I'm wary of stacking 8-10 blocks in my new apt-- the first floor has rotting beams and I'm on the 3rd floor. I don't want to have that much weight in one place.

I've seen a lot of stands designed for home theater surround speakers-- anyone out there think using those would be a bad (or good) idea?

jpschust
takin' a dinner break

Post by jpschust » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:38 am

umm if you are that worried about weight should you really have a console in there?

MitoPro
alignin' 24-trk

Post by MitoPro » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:43 am

who said anything about a console? I have a modest but powerful DAW-based recording set up. When I upgrade to an analog mixer (yes, I consider that an upgrade) as a front and back end to my DAW, it will be a small 8-12 ch., 4 buss mixer.

The building is not going to fall over, I just don't want to put the weight of 8-10 cinder blocks on a 1 ft. sq. footprint.

MitoPro
alignin' 24-trk

Post by MitoPro » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:39 am

bump.

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:29 am

Here's another DIY story. I built my monitor stands for $30 with stuff from Home Depot. The vertical pole is a 2" square black enameled steel mailbox post. The top and bottom are 12" precut circles of MDF board. A little measuring and drilling, bolt the circles to the post, add some rubber feet on the bottom, and they're great.