Nonprofit Recording Studio for Teens

oldlibrarystudio
audio school graduate

Nonprofit Recording Studio for Teens

Post by oldlibrarystudio » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:28 pm

I'm sure many of you will find this organization interesting. At last an nonprofit organization TapeOp folks can really get behind !

The Old Library Studio is going to open this May, in NE Portland.
You can visit the website:
http://www.oldlibrarystudio.org

The studio can use your old gear, for details see the donation wishlist:
http://www.oldlibrarystudio.org/wishlist.html
This is a great program for teens who want to learn to make recordings and compose their own music. Many programs focus on playing music, but it's rare to find a program that teaches teens to make music.

Larry Crane

thecongostudio
steve albini likes it

Re: Nonprofit Recording Studio for Teens

Post by thecongostudio » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:13 am

Sounds Awesome! That's something if I was on the West Coast I would actively be involved in. I plan on being in Salem at some point this summer, so I might find a time to stop in and see how everything is going!

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:43 am

Thats really awesome! I actually thought about starting up something like this at one point. It's really cool to see someone do it.

todd
pushin' record

Post by todd » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:28 am

very cool,
i've been wanting to write up some grant proposals to do the same thing in atlanta...i'm not very good at asking for money though :(

thanks,
todd

oldlibrarystudio
audio school graduate

Post by oldlibrarystudio » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:24 am

Thanks guys, It really helps to hear such positive support ! I just checked back on this post and I was so delighted to have friendly messages waiting for me.

I've just been put through the ringer. Some guys in the synth discussion area over at Harmony Central don't share your goodwill, most of them seem to be from Canada (i've always liked the Canadians), if anyone wants a picture of Johnny Cash giving you the finger... head on over: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/for ... to=newpost

The good vibes off of TapeOp and the Taperssection.com forum lulled me into a false sense of security. Apperently if someone else posts an enthusiastic message about our project, it goes over great... but if I post it people are very suspicous.

If any of you are nearby this summer (after the studio opens) give us a call and pay us a visit ! (see the website for contact info, maps, etc.) (Hi congostudio)

Those of you who are interested in starting up a program like this in your town (Hi todd), drop me a line. I'm happy to share my experience and offer encouragement. (other music nonprofit leaders did the same for me, I've got a karmic debt to pay !)

-noah
This is a great program for teens who want to learn to make recordings and compose their own music. Many programs focus on playing music, but it's rare to find a program that teaches teens to make music.

Larry Crane

oldlibrarystudio
audio school graduate

Post by oldlibrarystudio » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:09 am

Good News:

We just recieved our tax exemption letter from the IRS. The Old Library Studio is now officially a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization. All contributions are eligible for tax deduction. (check with your tax professional for details about what this means for you).

Thank you TapeOp folks for being so supportive!

Larry Crane