Who's In Kansas City?

jca83
carpal tunnel

Who's In Kansas City?

Post by jca83 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:17 pm

just visited my hometown (KCMO!) over easter break and i just remembered how much i like that place. anybody know anybody in KC who's got a studio? a studio with a website? i just want to see what kind of stuff gets done and what kind of studios exist around that area...

just curious.
that devil bastard protools

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Who's In Kansas City?

Post by musikman316 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:16 am

Airborne Audio, they have a Neve 80 series with 16 1073's, Pro Tools etc. and they have two other studios also. www.airborneaudio.com

Black Lodge Recording is in Eudora (between Lawrence and KC) Amek Big, Tascam 2" 24 track, Pro Tools, great live room. www.blacklodgerecording.com

Westend Recording Studio is also killer. MCI 500 series in Room A, analog and digital, very cool. www.westendstudio.com

By the way, all these studios are in KCKS, a much cooler place if you ask me!!! :lol:

Later,
musik

mcijh
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mcijh » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:03 pm

Or Overland Park.......SS

jzahos
gettin' sounds

Post by jzahos » Thu May 06, 2004 9:12 am

JCA 83-

You're right - KC is a great place (my hometown as well). Hope to get back there soon (school in Illinois now).

In addition to the studios listed by others, check out:

Chapman-
www.chapmanrecording.com/

BRC-
http://brcaudio.com/

Years ago I recorded at Chapman (as a musician) at their old location on 5th street - Haven't seen the new location, but it looks nice, and it's located in the being-revitalized Union Station area.

Later-
JZ

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Fri May 07, 2004 10:04 am

fantastic. so there's amazing studios there, they look great. how's the local music scene?

i'm aware of the jazz revival going on, and all that. but what about indie rock, etc? anybody know?
that devil bastard protools

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Fri May 07, 2004 10:20 am

j. hall is in KC and is finishing up his new mix room.

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/83/0

there seem to be a lot of KC people over in his forum on PSW - it sounds like there's a lot going on.

jzahos
gettin' sounds

Post by jzahos » Tue May 18, 2004 9:35 am

Forgot Soundtrek:

http://soundtrek.net/

JZ

Moondog
audio school

Post by Moondog » Wed May 19, 2004 8:33 pm

Hi,
You should also check out my studio: www.audiotriad.com
We work with the local scene and I'm also involved in a charity for the local children to get them into music and out of trouble.

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Wed May 19, 2004 9:08 pm

I'm in KC... well just outside in Blue Springs. Have a very modest little project studio. Nothing cool like the ones already mentinoed. KC isn't too bad of a place at all.

MoonDog, small world. You posted on my band's website today! Thanks for the feedback. Persoanlly I wanted more vocals in mix as well but the rest of teh guys vetoed that mix. :-/

Moondog
audio school

Post by Moondog » Wed May 19, 2004 9:34 pm

Spank,
That is a small world!! I've had so much synchronicity going on lately, it's pretty scary.
Did you check out my site? The reason I ask is because I'm currently seeking an intern or two with a good possibility for full time work. If you're interested, please shoot me an email.

Thanks,
Brad

stratoblaster
audio school graduate

Post by stratoblaster » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:23 pm

I just finished (if they are ever finished) a project studio in Overland Park. I have a 16' x 11' live room and a 8' x 11' control room in the basement of my home. I primarily work on original music but I'm finding I love recording as much or more as playing guitar.

I play with some local funk/jazz/R&B groups. Playing this Friday at 13th Street Bar and Grill with KXO band. I've been playing guitar since 1977 and recording since 1985.

Its sad how many small studios go out of business but its a boom for guys like me looking for cheap gear. I may actually advertise a little to work with some local bands on demos. I like recording myself but I am looking to get my chops up recording other music styles.

Anybody in KC need a cheap demo?? mristrom@rfcpro.com if your interested.
Poop on Line6. Get a tube.

The Gibbon
gettin' sounds

Post by The Gibbon » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:33 am

For those of you in Kansas, a little personal plug for Stratoblaster, I've known him for like 20 years...a super old pal from Minneapolis...great guitarist, bassist and overall one of the best musicians I know...pretty good pedigree too if you've ever heard his father play! Give him a call...I promise you he'll entertain and amuse you to no end...oh and he gets great sounds! Sorry if I emberassed you Matt...Long live the Smurf cabs!

bilo
audio school

Post by bilo » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:29 am

Why is it that most studios in kansas city do not have equipment lists on there websites?

stratoblaster
audio school graduate

Post by stratoblaster » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:08 pm

Email me if your interested in recording. $100 per day for tracking. $20 per hour for mastering. Reason, ProTools, CD Arch on the PC. Glyph audio hard-drives. Focusrite, JoeMeek, and Digidesign mic pres. Shure, Avlex, Rode, EV and MXL mics. Aphex, Digitech, and RTAS effects. Yamaha NS-A monitors and Samson reference amp. Lots of other stuff. 16x11 live room, 8x11 control/vocal room, 4x20 reverb hall (other rooms available with hard-wood floors but are not treated with acoustic foam).

Most importantly: talanted and creative engineer with an imagination and a good set of ears. I will book musicians for any style music for tracking sessions. Several tube gtr amps and rig, Ampeg bass rig, Kustom PA - all available in live room. Gtr, bass, sax, trombone and drums available for use. I will also program background tracks and/or beats for original music.

mristrom@rfcpro.com
Poop on Line6. Get a tube.

Aeroplane Audio
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Aeroplane Audio » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:11 pm

Wooo! KC, my hometown as well.

I have a very (and i mean VERY) small studio set up downtown, it's actually on the second floor of the old firestone building. I'm not really booking too many people right now for the followign reasons:

a) I am not there. I am in Cambridge, MA attending summer classes (away from my tascam 38. BAAAAAD idea. good think i brought my 788, therwise i might not survive. :) )

Beta) When i get there, i will only be there for a maximum of four weeks or so, because of

3) I am moving to England in the Fall for college. I'm gonna take my equipment with me...i just don't know exactly how yet.

BUT, if youre interested in some really cheap recording (16 dollars per song, mixing included. no masterng service yet) , drop me a line at littleblackmedicalbook@gmail.com

...and oh yeah. I'm also in DiSH. We are a not very prominant Indie band. But...yeah. I know the scene pretty well.
"There are two kinds of mistakes: The regular kind, and the kind that don't sound too good"
-Thelonious Monk
--------------------------------------------------------
www.myspace.com/tuttutkc
www.myspace.com/ironpawrecords