where is there SPACE in NEw York for a Live/Work studio?

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

where is there SPACE in NEw York for a Live/Work studio?

Post by Girl Toes » Fri May 07, 2004 1:59 pm

Hi. I'm looking in new york for Live/Work recording space, where I might even be able to play drums at cirten hours. Am I just crazy??? I am on a college student's budget, mind you. Is there such a place???

Its the age old dilema of, needing to move to new york to further my career, but, not having the space to get work done, hence it hinders my career. What to do?

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Re: where is there SPACE in NEw York for a Live/Work studio?

Post by Family Hoof » Sun May 09, 2004 4:26 pm

What kind of drumming is it? I know a number of people who have a bunch of DIY absorption on their bedroom walls to practice quiter/jazz tpye stuff during the day when other tennants are at work. Have you met any landlords and/or realtors yet? Basements are the way to go. And some old buildings sitll have little isolated apartments/buildings in the back. I know a guy who operated a commercial out of one and also lived there for 11 years. You're not allowed to build those anymore. :cry:

sonicmook56
steve albini likes it

Post by sonicmook56 » Tue May 11, 2004 9:56 pm

I live out in Bushwick. Is off the L train past hipsterville. Its an old industeral part of town that nobody cares about. you can find a huge loft for a resonable price that you can do whatever you want, build whatever you want exc.. I know some people who have a 1/2 pipe in there living room. A bunch of bands, including mine, jam here whenever we feel like it. The only problem is crackheads. There everywhere. other than that, im diggin it..

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Tue May 11, 2004 10:10 pm

Ion Records is in downtown Brooklyn and records drums and bands in his apartment (5D Studios). Perhaps ask him to chime in?

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed May 12, 2004 12:04 pm

yo, me and lance have been PM-ing. i think i'm technically in park slope, but the atlantic/flatbush intersection is like fort green/downtown/prospect heights. i would say my apartment is an anomaly, not the norm. i'm pretty lucky, and don't plan on moving anytime soon, plus i have nice neighbors, and it's a pretty small building.

there are a lot of lofts out in bushwick, but they are getting expensive now. i know a guy who built a full fleged 2 story studio in a loft in bushwick. it's crazy, he's got a ton of nice gear. www.bushwickstudio.com

should also consider red hook, and the gowanus area.

ayan
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Wed May 12, 2004 12:16 pm

Yeah, thanks every one. Espec. Ayan. Yeah, all these places people are saying are cheap are no longer cheap. I've looked a bit at red hook too, which some people said would be real cheap on account that there is no train. But even that is expensive. I've looked on craigs list, but craigs list is bull shit.

You think it would be wise to have my self a studio on Staten Island? The real down side is no one would ever visit. That could be a big draw back if I want to record a bunch of people regularly.

Family Hoof
buyin' a studio

Post by Family Hoof » Wed May 12, 2004 2:15 pm

Lance,

I've been having similar realizations lately. Even negating the fact that you need space for drums and recording, it's getting impossible for anyone who ain't wealthy to afford Brooklyn and Manhattan. I just don't understand how all these young artist types and hipsters can do it. Must have great day jobs, 'ey?
I've got two friends in Staten Island and never visit them and we all hate that damn borough, BUT it is still cheap and they keep drumsets in their basements. Having hateful neighbors is still a possibility, right? What's the story with Queens, anyone?

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue May 18, 2004 12:38 pm

I can't help, but I can sympathize. I just moved back to the suburbs of Philadelphia after living in NYC for 5 years because i couldn't stand the fact that I couldn't find somewhere to work and live. On the upside the commute isn't too bad (1:45 on a good day) so I'm still in NYC 3-4 days a week. The downside is I am DEFINATELY NOT in New York City, which is still taking some getting used to.

Anyway, you don't have to move that far out. Long Island can be expensive, but there are definately places in Jersey that are an easy commute, even if you don't have a car.

MitoPro
alignin' 24-trk

Post by MitoPro » Tue May 18, 2004 2:20 pm

Family Hoof wrote: What's the story with Queens, anyone?
There was a thread a while back with a bunch of cats talking about their set-ups in Astoria. Maybe some of those folks can chime in...
I've also heard about loft space in Long Island City and Hunter's Point--- but not sure how cheap/not cheap it is up there.

Short of lofts, the best thing to look for if you want to do drums is a first floor apt with a (un)finished basement. Then you got cement all around you and the closest people to the noise are your roommates up stairs. I also live in Brooklyn near the Atlantic/Flatbush fiasco and there are lots of Brownstones like that around here.

There are deals to be had, but it's a lot of work to find them. Got my apt. directly through the landlord (no fee), and it was cheap enough that we could have 3 of us in a 4 br and turn the largest br into a studio. No, I can't do drums and I don't have an iso booth, but it's working out very well.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue May 25, 2004 11:47 am

also check out Yonkers, right above the Bronx..about a 20 minute trian ride to grand central station..way cheaper than the city..there are a ton of industrial spaces..

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri May 28, 2004 10:58 am

this looks like the solution to the original post: http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=14634

yonkers huh? that's not a bad idea. except you'd be surrounded by people from yonkers. it's like a time machine up there, the hair just refuses to shrink.
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Fri May 28, 2004 9:13 pm

I found a basement storage space (part of a basement of an old brownstone) and have been building an iso booth in it. It will be soundproof enough to record guitar amps and (I hope) drums. I'll record amps in the booth and everything else (acoustic guitar/vocals) in the room with me, my board, and the recorder. Not a perfect set-up but I'm just in this as a hobby, not as my living.

For me it's location, location, location... I need my space to be close to where I live otherwise it won't get enough use. This space is 5 blocks from my apartment.

Even if I'm unable to track drums in the iso-booth (too many complaints from neighbors) there are so many pro rooms in NYC for cheap that I'll track drums there and overdub at my space.

I never had any luck on Craigslist looking for "music studios". Everything was overpriced and by the hour. Instead just search for commercial space and see what you can find. I found my space (~250 sq ft) for $450/month. It took months of searching to find the space. Now for the last month I've been building the iso-booth... Keep searching, you'll find something.

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:38 am

I stumbled on a caretakers' house for a cemetary in North Jersey about 15 miles from the Holland Tunnel about 4 years ago. It's been great; I think the "neighbors" actually like the vibrations coming through the ground.

My landlord is a local church. $1200 a month for a 3 bedrm. I have a few light responsibilities, they don't pay taxes and I get the savings...

Barefoot-Studio
audio school graduate

Post by Barefoot-Studio » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:42 pm

Lance Roma?ce wrote:Hi. I'm looking in new york for Live/Work recording space, where I might even be able to play drums at cirten hours. Am I just crazy??? I am on a college student's budget, mind you. Is there such a place???
My place might not be pretty, but we can play/record 24/7.
My site is VERY outdated, but it's up 8) Has tunes recorded & mixed posted.

Let me know what you think.

RockyTCR
gettin' sounds

Post by RockyTCR » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:01 pm

I never had any luck on Craigslist looking for "music studios". Everything was overpriced and by the hour. Instead just search for commercial space and see what you can find. I found my space (~250 sq ft) for $450/month. It took months of searching to find the space. Now for the last month I've been building the iso-booth... Keep searching, you'll find something.
The reason these places are "overpriced" is because people are trying to make a living doing what they love, professionally. If your looking to do drums that sound great, take it to pros that do this everyday all day. If you want to learn on your own and definately have fun with it...Manhattan isnt gonna work. It sounds like NJ, Queens or very far out Brooklyn would be better to look into.