Future Austin Intern

chingachinga
audio school

Future Austin Intern

Post by chingachinga » Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:36 pm

I am fresh out of recording school and looking to intern yet seem to be running into brick walls everywhere. If anyone in the Austin area is looking for an intern please email at wewanteazy28@hotmail.com

thanks

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Re: Future Austin Intern

Post by signorMars » Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:59 pm

freelance it. i'm in the same boat (same city)... and that's what anyone i have talked to has said. are you going to dallas sound lab?

--ross ingram

byronnotbrian
audio school

Post by byronnotbrian » Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:37 pm

don't intern at arlyn/pedernales.

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:55 pm

hehehe... why's that? did you get fired in the big housecleaning in march or april?

(i actually JUST got home from a session there. hooray for lifetime discounts.)

--ross ingram

hernandezjessica
audio school

Post by hernandezjessica » Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:04 am

Hey. If you still wanna intern somewhere, let me know. Email me at [removed-outdated]. I grad. from the Conservatory of Rec. Arts and & Sciences in AZ and Im now in Austin. Let me know if you still need help. TTYL!
Jessica

StuartSullivan
audio school graduate

Post by StuartSullivan » Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:28 pm

Most internships in austin are a joke. Most studios don't use interns because 1) they are threatened by anyone in the room who might know more than them. 2) They don't want the "responsibliity" or 3) Sooooo many interns are idiots . This is my main problem with interns....they are way to much trouble and of no benefit. I waa based out of Arlyn/ped for 15 years and in that time I had 2 good interns, a handful of ok interns and more pain in the ass interns than I could count. so many never saw anything besides themselves, would only be available a couple of hours a week, couldn't complete a sentence, totally socially inept, and most damaging...unable to learn. The good ones I've had are great and earn my gratitude, respect and support. The one I have now I'll keep as long as possible...he gets whatever $$ I can, and when he leaves (all interns must leave eventually) he'll get a glowing letter of recomendation, a ton of knowledge about session flow and people, conections in the business(small time as i may be) a good understanding of equiptment and it's applications and if I've been good to him, he'll come back as a client.
(one of) Austin's problems is that most studio people haven't spent any time outside of Austin.....They don't know how a professional studio with a real internship program works. Interns should be given a list of expectations and rules before they start so everything is laid out in black and white.

Just for the record....I've been stalling all internship requests off untill my guy gets ready to make a change. I'm a one man (+ intern) operation and need to focus what little I have on my current guy to make it worth his while.

Stuart Sullivan
Wire Recording

StuartSullivan
audio school graduate

Post by StuartSullivan » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:50 pm

Just to clarifiy what I believe assistant's rules are (and yes after reading them i do realize I wrote them up "pre Pro Tools" era. Also any additions/updates would be appreciated:
General Assistant rules:

? Arrive 1/2 hour before every session to prepare studio/Lock up after session
? Do not offer an opinion unless asked directly !!!!!!!!
? Turn on tube mics FIRST
? Clean tape heads
? Make coffee well.
? Replace light bulbs as you notice them go out
? Constantly look for trash/cups/messes to clean up
? Keep tape logs
? Keep track of tapes used (DAT's/Cassette/1/4"-1/2"-2")
? Answer phone after hours (Be polite and take messages)
? Put together food orders and pick it up
? Run ANY errand the client wants, no matter how annoying.
? NEVER be rude to anyone.
? NEVER touch anyone's instrument or amplifier unless expressly asked.
? NEVER sit in big chairs if ANYBODY is in the control room
? Give up your seat to clients without being asked
? Keep a personal log of your work day(times/basic description of job/unusual events)
? If you are not always doing something, you are not doing your job!
? DO NOT smoke or drink during a session and DO NOT DEAL DRUGS to clients !!

AFTER SESSIONS:

? Tear down and put away mics/stands/cables/baffles/carpets
? Make sure B-3 and piano are in place
-If piano is moved, let the office know (needs to be retuned every
move)
? Clear out all non-studio equipment(outboard gear/monitors/instruments/amps/notes/tapes)
? Make sure all supplies are stocked(splicing tape/1/4"-1/2"-2" leader/Q-tips/Alcohol/razor blades)
? Clear out fridge for new sessions

EVERY NIGHT:

? Turn monitors down at console
? Make sure no equipment is left in a dangerous situation
? Clean up all trash (food/cups/newspapers/any mess) in any part of studio
? Make sure coffee stuff/paper towels/toilet paper is stocked
? Turn off coffee pot and empty it out
? Keep a running list of any equipment problems (DO NOT PUT THINGS LABELED "BAD"
BACK INTO CIRCULATION!!! WHEN YOU FIND A PROBLEM, LABEL AND LIST IT!!)
-Engineer's "broken list? includes console/outboard gear/monitors/tape machines
-Assistant's "broken list" includes EVERYTHING else

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Post by DeafinONEear » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:29 pm

due, that was fuckin awsome! great list.

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:53 am

Thanks to all of you for an interesting, eye-opening thread. I'm looking for assistant/intern opportunities in Austin also. Seems like the options are limited. I keep wondering if I should split and head to CA or Seattle...

ahmedgarcia
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ahmedgarcia » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:00 am

If you want to stay in Texas you could also try the FireStation in San Marcos. I think it is called that? Dallas has some fine studios as well. But just because other austin studios have not responded to this thread does not mean they are not looking for interns. I am sure a lot of austin studios do not subscribe to this board. school just started so you better hurry up to get a spot.

just call and hassle them. there is million dollar sound off of congress and ben white, or I/O Studios off of Duval and 34th/35th street. I know I/O uses interns 'cause I have seen them there. they got me my whataburger that night. Also, MusicLab has like three or four running studios all in south austin.

Open the Austin Chronicle and look at the back area for studios and call them.

good luck

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:39 am

StuartSullivan wrote: ? Do not offer an opinion unless asked directly !!!!!!!!
This struck me. Is this a generality in the business, i.e. do you see creative input from an intern as out-of-place? I think this this rule would be the hardest to stick to.

How long do internships last before one gets promoted or at least trusted with creative responsibility?

StuartSullivan
audio school graduate

Post by StuartSullivan » Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:32 pm

I feel that this rule is fundimental. When in a session there is always some heirarcy that serves a purpose. I feel that democracies "generally" are not the most effective approach to focused acomplishment. The producer and bandleader/songwrites are at the top, the engineer and bandmembers with significat studio experiece are next, less experienced band members and A+R people fall near the rear. Cute girls, executive producers, and well armed freaks all get some say. Then interns and strangers off the street.
This is a general rule with many exceptions. I have an intern whom I ask opinions from both musical and techi. I dont insist others do the same, but folks who see me give him that respect, often will treat him with the same level of respect.......but still there is the chain of comand is in place

The basic purpose of this rule is alow a producer or engineer to pace/stagemanage a session without unwitting interferance from others who may not be as tuned in to the pacing/issues/timing/psychology of it all.

Everyone of those rules are there in response to multiple instances of damaging action

I Believe in them, but accept that they could use improvements. I put them out yhere inhopes that others experiences could make the whole list more useful

i am ramblin

stuart sullivan
wire recording

StuartSullivan
audio school graduate

Post by StuartSullivan » Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:01 am

ahmedgarcia wrote:If you want to stay in Texas you could also try the FireStation in San Marcos. I think it is called that? Dallas has some fine studios as well. But just because other austin studios have not responded to this thread does not mean they are not looking for interns. I am sure a lot of austin studios do not subscribe to this board. school just started so you better hurry up to get a spot.

just call and hassle them. there is million dollar sound off of congress and ben white, or I/O Studios off of Duval and 34th/35th street. I know I/O uses interns 'cause I have seen them there. they got me my whataburger that night. Also, MusicLab has like three or four running studios all in south austin.

Open the Austin Chronicle and look at the back area for studios and call them.

good luck

The Fire Station is now part of the new "Texas State" music recording program. I'ts a 4 year program run by Mark Erickson and Bobby Arnold. Mark is smart and the dept head, Bobby has great experiece as Willie Nelsons engineer for years, and is a hell ofa nice guy to boot. If you get in that progran you are lucky, not that you have it made, bu you do have opportunites to learn from pros who have made a living recording and are genuinly caring helpful folks....the more you work the better they can help you
My current intern came from there and he is very good,

Elsewere in Austin, Try 1) Fred Remmert @ Cedar Creek....the oldest pro level facility in town, Fred is a talentec, fair, and honest man...good luck this would be a good spot 2) Pedernales studios.....Big John manages intern, they have the most pro facility but most of their interns come from the Dallas Sound Labs school that took over the "former" Arlyn stduio facility. 3)Congress House w/ Mark Hallmen is a solid established room with a good history of quality acts 4) The Hit Shack run by Jay Hudson is also a established working room. I don't think Jay is real big on interns, but the right one could probably change his mind 5) Tequila Mockingbird is an extreamly establish comercial "jingle" house that would be a great place to get in if you could 6) Top Hat -Jon- is another cool room in south central austin that iscommitted todoing quality work. 7+8) Poarchlight and sweatbox are 2 more midlevel rooms that seem to work a lot and could probaly keep an intern busy

And of course there is the lovely and dynamic Wire Recording run by me, Mister Wordy himself stuart sullivan I do a lot of bands that represent all the meats ofour cultural stew.

happy non productive hunting

Stuart Sullivan
@ wire we recoring studios

DavidATX
takin' a dinner break

Post by DavidATX » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:08 pm

Alright, time for another Austin studio owner to chime in. First off, I agree totally with Stuart. His list is right on, especially about interns only offering opinions when specifically asked. This is not us (engineers,/studio owners) being assholes. Its not that your idea is wrong, but it might be...and suggesting such things to a band of 4-5 individuals who can't agree on something does not help the situation.
I have had only one intern in the past year and a half and he know free lances at my studio, or I should say he is the other engineer. I am super picky about my interns nowadays. When I lived in DC and worked at a pretty big studio there as a 1st engineer I took on two interns. One was really really good at reading magazines on the couch. Furthermore, I am less inclined to have an intern that went to a recording school. I don't rule them out, but more times than not I would rather have an intern that doesn't know squat and wants to learn. I have found that interns that did go to recording schools think they know way way way more than they do about recording and dealing with musicians.
Now, having said all that, I try to be helpful to everyone that calls me or e-mails me...I even try to meet with some when I know that they will not be an intern with me...just to try to drop knowledge on them. So anyone that has questions, feel free to e-mail me.

David
Republic Studios
512-477-0417
david@republicstudios.com

StuartSullivan
audio school graduate

Post by StuartSullivan » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:48 pm

[quote=" I am less inclined to have an intern that went to a recording school. I don't rule them out,

The recording school thing is wired as David has described. However it has one plus.....kids that can come up with the $$$$(parents) are more likely to be able to live without income for an indefinate period of time while they slave away for me. That being said I would almost always suggest that if you have the money to do a school, don't do it. Use the money to buy a very modest studio set up, go to clubs, listen to bands, hustle them to work with you for free. Learn by doing. The benifits are invaluable. 1) you learn signal flow in reality 2) you learn to work in session 3) you make contacts with musicians often in your age group and scene...they learn to trust you. 4) most importantly you learn to hustle...if you won't work for it, you generally can't have it. This is not really an industry where you get a "job". So many newbies go around wanting a job (I got a business degree and went around with my little resume' looking for a "job" as an engineer....owners were kind, they either ignored me or laughed in my face) You make your own job, your clients are your employers. Even aat large studios where there are employees, you don't keep your gig simply by showing up. You help them make money or someone else will. There are always exceptions, but my 20 years has shown these exceptions to be rare and almost always provided by a wealthy person who can afford to skirt the rules of comerce for their personal gratification. (Yes, I made great $$, going to tropical islands on a private jet.....it seem cool at the time, but was leading me nowhere so i bailed......yes I'm a moron) I digress, but the point remains that developing relationships with musicians/bands/labels is how you get in and doing quality work is how you stay in. Most recording schools don't mean to be scams but are anyway. Those students that have the drive to make the most of schools have the drive to do it without school. Just hustle their ass off and make it work. David is right on when he says a know nothing with drive is better that the average school grad.

The trick is to learn to be a help rather than be a time goblin. Most professionals are far too self centered to be able to waste even a little time on someone who isn't going to help you,,,,,,,yes i realized that that statement is sad, even gross, but it is the truth. And the truth(as skewed a version of as I may have) is all i owe here

I must add one more rule that sits above all rules....YOU MUST LOVE MUSIC WITH EVERY CELL OF YOUR BODY, then when you've been making a living at it for a while and spend chunks of your life working on a stinking pile of shit some dickweed claims is music, YOU MUST STILL LOVE MUSIC WITH EVERY ATOM OF YOU EXISTINCE or you are wasting your life. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS LISTEN TO MUSIC YOU LOVE, CAN'T LIVE WITH OUT!!!!!!! the music business in a shallow ditch fill with subhuman scum. The only reward is music. you must learn to love it beyond rational thought

onthat note i gotta go to itunes and download "you've lost that lovin feeling" Just saw the Phil Spector bio and remembered how amazing that song is

sorry i got carried away to tagental topics, but obessive behavior towards both work and love of music will help enable your entrance into the music biz

Stuart @Wire
Im writing like I'm stoned but I'm not.