SF SOUNDWORKS Seeks Budding Engineers for Internship

tonyespinoza
audio school graduate

SF SOUNDWORKS Seeks Budding Engineers for Internship

Post by tonyespinoza » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:55 am

SF SOUNDWORKS Seeks Budding Engineers and Producers for Internship

San Francisco Soundworks is a newly established pro recording studio that attracts major label and independent projects to San Francisco from LA, New York, and all over the Bay Area. The facility features several control rooms, including an amazing drum room and the most well equipped SSL 9000J mix room in Northern California. We are entirely focused on making music and in particular on supporting a community of successful artists, producers, engineers, and music labels throughout the Bay Area.

We have several open intern positions for those who are dedicated to building their career making music.

Intern duties range from light cleaning & answering phones to learning everything you can about the tools and techniques of recording. Books and classes are great, but we believe that the only way to learn how to make records is to make records. Therefore, all interns are required to book free time in the studio and complete their own projects. All interns will receive individual and group training on the SSL. Successful interns will have the opportunity to assist clients in making records and make $10 - $20 per hour at that level.

Internship Requirements:
- Excellent people skills
- Excellent knowledge of ProTools
- Excellent understanding of analog audio fundamentals (What's a VU meter?)
- A minimum committment of 2 full days (10 hours each) per week

You can read more about us in the SF Weekly at http://sfsoundworks.com/cover.htm

Also, visit our web site at http://www.sfsoundworks.com for more info.

The following is an excerpt from our Web site:

Since opening in August, we've been excited to record music with Alanis Morissette, Vanessa Carlton, Stephan Jenkins, Joe Chiccarelli, John Cale, Elephone, RawSun, Beth Waters, B Legit & Death Angel.

San Francisco Soundworks' vision is to provide world-class studio facilities for major label productions while nurturing a community of independent artists.

Our flagship, Studio A, features a new SSL 9072 mixing console and a vast array of vintage outboard gear and microphones. Major projects finally have the option to stay in San Francisco and mix on a 9K. Our convenient downtown location makes it a great destination for LA-based projects as well.

We believe the independent spirit of San Francisco is alive and well, and we are doing what we can to bolster and develop the local music scene. Studio B, C, and D are our artist development rooms and are priced to support the artistic vitality and sonic quality of independent productions.

Help us bring the music back to San Francisco.

SF Weekly:
Cover Story
http://sfsoundworks.com/cover.htm

Billboard Magazine:
New Golden Gate Studio Rivals Big Guys
http://www.sfsoundworks.com/billboardarticle.htm

Solid-State-Logic:
Studio Seeks to Re-Define the San Francisco Sound
http://www.solid-state-logic.com/news/n ... .php?id=70
Last edited by tonyespinoza on Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
SAN FRANCISCO SOUNDWORKS
www.sfsoundworks.com

415.503.1110 vox

the ultimate SSL 9K mix room
and we support independent music
[imagine that]

pvassil3
pluggin' in mics

Re: SF SOUNDWORKS Seeks Budding Engineers for Internship

Post by pvassil3 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:08 am

Please tell me someone is going to take advantage of this opportunity. I only wish I was out of school so I could.
Stop, collaborate and listen.

daniel11
audio school

Post by daniel11 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:09 am

I will be back in the Bay Area in about 5 or 6 weeks...expect me at your door with a packed lunch and a friendly smile....

Resume will be emailed to you this week... looking forward to making friends and music when I get back to good old SF...god I miss that city!!!

ciao for now!!!
Daniel Christensen
'be different, just like everyone else...'

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:29 pm

i know a girl in l.a. who would be perfect for this.

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:26 am

I was excited about this posting and sent my resume, sent multiple follow-up emails and called a handful of times....but got no response. Is the position filled? :?:

daede
takin' a dinner break

Post by daede » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:55 pm

Yeah- I emailed a question and never heard a peep.

Bummer.
"There's nothing noble in being better than your fellow man. True nobility comes from being better than your former self." Or something like that.

www.dreamachinemusic.com

i*persevere
pluggin' in mics

Post by i*persevere » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:37 pm

Copy that- not even a mini-peep. They keep posting all over the board too. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

daede
takin' a dinner break

Post by daede » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:11 pm

i*persevere wrote:Copy that- not even a mini-peep. They keep posting all over the board too. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
And thus your username becomes all the more appropriate. 8)
"There's nothing noble in being better than your fellow man. True nobility comes from being better than your former self." Or something like that.

www.dreamachinemusic.com

i*persevere
pluggin' in mics

Post by i*persevere » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:20 pm

Hey you've got a point. Though I have to say after a pounding the pavement in L.A. this week a little too much perseverance and they almost call security. An L.A. etiquette tip: handing in your resume in person is not the done thing.

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:54 pm

i*persevere wrote:Hey you've got a point. Though I have to say after a pounding the pavement in L.A. this week a little too much perseverance and they almost call security. An L.A. etiquette tip: handing in your resume in person is not the done thing.
This may go for SF too. When I fist called SF Soundworks, I asked for their address, planning to drop off a resume in person. They were VERY guarded about giving me the address (and, in fact, never did) but asked what my inquiry was for. When I told them I was interested in the position there they asked me to email the resume. (see my previous post on this thread for more on that) :|

daede
takin' a dinner break

Post by daede » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:32 am

Edited to remove rant. Needless to say I'm disappointed/irritated that noone ever took the time to email me back.
</rant>

www.dreamachinemusic.com

HoneyBear
audio school graduate

Post by HoneyBear » Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:11 pm

I happen to know someone who interns at Soundworks. He came from what is now referred to as Expressions College (used to be Epressions Center for New Media). Most of their interns come from Expressions. I was curious as to whether they were actually hiring so I e-mailed SF Soundworks with my resume (since I am a first engineer at another major SF studio I thought I might be qualified to intern). I did get a response back which basically was to inform me that the position hadn't been filled but if I wasn't able to wait indefinitely I should look elsewhere.

The good news however - is that I work at a major studio in San Francisco which is constantly looking for interns. We don't have any positions available right now but every month or two there are a couple of openings. I will be posting here when something becomes available.

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:13 am

If you guys are still interested, they're looking for interns again. I interviewed, but didn't make the cut. Tony is sharp as a tack, and even though it's an internship, he said he expected a higher level of technical knowledge than I had. Hm. That's hardly what was posted in his initial post here, but he's the boss, so I guess it's his perogative. Hope somebody else here has better luck. Or, rather, better skills.

David.

seeabove
pushin' record

Post by seeabove » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:05 pm

Yeah, I contacted them the last go-round, too, and never heard back. Hey twitch, did you tell them you had over 500+ postings on TapeOp? That should've gotten the job. My 100 or so could never compete. :(
I get satisfaction of three kinds. One is creating something, one is being paid for it and one is the feeling that I haven?t just been sitting on my ass all afternoon.

tonyespinoza
audio school graduate

Post by tonyespinoza » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:48 am

i have to apologize to everyone who sent email but didn't get a response. we've been super busy and i've been horribly behind on emails. things will get better now that i have hired someone new who is responsible for the interview process. and we do have a couple of open positions. but again, i apologize that i can't get back to each person individually. i receive about 150 emails a day, so it's rough.

i also wanted to respond to a few things here in the thread and make sure everyone knows what's up.

as we've grown over our first year, i've realized that we need folks who are very close to being a 1st engineer. why? well, we have 4 control rooms and are getting ready to run 2 shifts per day. our A room is booked solid through to March. we simply need the help! and it's a great opportunity if you hella serious about this. if you learn to be a killer assistant you will begin to get paid ($100 per day). but i'll admit my standards are very high. to assist you need to know MORE about the room than most of the engineers that work here and to be a 1st you have to convince me that you rock on many levels. that means you've done some recordings here and you have proven to have the technical chops and the people skills to run sessions well. i've been working 14 to 18 hour days straight and more than ever we need new engineers here who are willing to invest in learning the room so they can contribute to the process. in addition to assisting, some folks get paid to do editing, and tape-oping. the bottom line is that you have to rock at ProTools and if you know your way around a Studer A827 well, you will have a leg up on most people here. don't even try to tell me you know how to run the 9K (unless you REALLY do, of course).

we currently have about 6 interns. none of them are from expressions center for new media (mike is no longer here). some have no formal training. some have degrees from Berkeley, Berkelee, UCSF, or the conservatory. the point is that we've found the folks we have now from either this board, craigs list, or through personal referrals.

some of the projects we've been working on lately have been really fun. i've enjoyed mixing an upcoming release with Why? (Yoni) from Anticon. i'm finishing a new EP with Rogue Wave (SubPop). i'm also in preproduction or premix with Oranger, Every Move A Picture, and I AM SPOONBENDER. DJ Shadow has spent some time tracking for his upcoming release and we did the remixes for Keane's single and the Radiohead remix of "The Gloaming" here with Count. on top of all this we've had our moments with Alanis, Ice Cube, John Cale, Todd Rundgren, R.E.M., etc. so there's a good reason why we will continue to seek out the best folks to work here. it's incredibly hard work, and the pay is crap, but if you care about making records, it's so worth it.

my advice if your interested in working here is:

1) send an email. include your resume. call the studio at 415.503.1110 and introduce yourself to Kim. she runs the intern program now. do your self a favor and don't pelt her or us with emails or calls. we begin to assume that you don't have good people skills if you do that.

2) the vibe here is pretty laid back. we don't like sales people. we don't like pushy people. keep it honest and relaxed and you'll do fine.

3) we WILL ask you technical questions before we hire you. that means you better fucking know how to read a VU meter or you won't have a chance. i also ask a lot of questions about protools because i won't seriously consider a person unless they know it well.

4) if you don't like working under pressure or working very long hours, you don't want to work here. even though the vibe is laid back, we work like crazy.

-tE tony@sfsoundworks.com

415.503.1110 vox

[imagine that]
SAN FRANCISCO SOUNDWORKS
www.sfsoundworks.com

415.503.1110 vox

[imagine that]