feeling a little confused?

blaccard
studio intern

Re: feeling a little confused?

Post by blaccard » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:46 am

Brian,

I think you, missed my point. That being that the big labels have no interest in older releases. That is why some of the smaller indie labels such as Bomp are doing well. They are filling a market big corps have no need for. When I worked in radio as a Music director the library was very extensive in the station. We had easily 10,000 plus records. The labels let us purchase vinyl cheap because we were replacing scratched records or whatever. You get call A&M and get say all the frampton albums for about 1.50 each. They loved the fact that you had their whole catalog in their station. This is in 1978.

Ever been to a Clear Channel station? They are run with a computer broadcasting Mp3 Files...

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:19 am

My brother, ex head of promotion for Immortal Records, is a DJ and he has worked for Clear Channel and Citadel. He invited me to a station in Memphis, where I'm moving to next month, and I was surprised, no records or CD''s. The "WAVE OF THE FUTURE". YUK!
I'm glad someone is doing it, but, the moment it shows profit the big guys will stomp on the little guys and take over.
I TOTALLY agree with your point about Napster. My boss used to use it and KaZaa alot for his personal silliness, but, he bought a lot of CD's too.
I didn't see one self burned CD in his rather expansive collection.
We need to get the GOV out of the BIZ. Gangsta Rap has to go with it to make it legit.
Art needs to take precedence. Even if it doesn't ALWAYS sell.
AHMET ERTIGAN would agree.
Harumph!

Maliscious
audio school graduate

Post by Maliscious » Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:20 am

Sattelite Radio to the rescue!!!!! :D :D :D

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:57 am

Rock on! My Brother, Rock on!!
Harumph!

Maliscious
audio school graduate

Post by Maliscious » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:56 am

Hey, Wind-Up Rec. Say they are into developing New Artists.... :roll: :?:

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:34 am

I seriuosly doubt any label is truly into it. I've heard things said when artists aren't around like "I don't want to develope this fucking guy, send me some shit that's already there!" by someone big. Or more than one someone. The only guys I've ever heard of that would are the late A&R guy John Hammond and Famous music's Jerry Love, that's it. Other than that it is all 'snap together" shit. That's why there's no money in it, too much penny pinching and bean counting, not enough art, quality, music, promotion of good stuff, and sales. The big guys dropped the ball,,,into the sewer.
Harumph!

helsing
audio school

Post by helsing » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:23 am

Brian makes me think of a converstaion I had last year. I took a few bass lessons from the great Carol Kaye. Woman played on about 40,00 sessions including more than few number one hits in the 50's 60's and 70's.

Asked her what she though thought the music industry needed today. Said that we need the veteran studio folks, with experience, to take charge. Back in her day it was people like Jerry Wexler and Ahmet Ertegun along with the musicians and engineers whom the money people listened to.

Hopefully that MBA is right and we are at rock bottom. Perhaps its only up from here.

Jon Erickson
www.helsingaudio.com

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:19 am

That's right! We need some old bastards like the vets to get back in and scoot these bean counting sonofaguns out! Plain and simple: They don't have the training or experience or ear or plans to get one to get art.
They think they'll figure it out on their own without help BECAUSE IT'S CHEAPER. Never happened, never happens, never will.
You have to have someone who knows what they are doing in these areas or it wioll lose interest due to boring product being at the forefront.
Harumph!

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:09 am

I am in an indie band. We have no need for a major. And they certainly have no need for us. But we tour nationally. We make our own records. And I can hear kids singing the words over the music from the stage. My music business is going pretty sweet.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:09 pm

Well???? good for you! This isn't about you though, it's about us, as a community. Be careful just being satisfied /thinking about yourself/without sense of community of peers.
It's what got the bean counters in charge, it's what made the art go away from big records. Me-ism. There is no "this always applies" sticker, but, ya gotta look out for your peers or their won't be an industry soon.
Think it can't happen? Look at all the people who used to be supported by those halfamilliondollar budgets, techs, engineers, musicians, managers, real A&R people, studios (including project studios), delivery people, nearby mom & pop pizza joints, all nite grocery stores, I can go on for a long time.....
It ain't about need, it's about what someone who knows more and will share generously with you, about music, writing music, playing music, writing lyrics, writing songs, the difference between art and just plain shit, management, booking, hiring a bus, setting up dates that make sense, on and on and on,,,,
Harumph!

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:59 am

And speaking of Ahmet, I've seen him go into a showcase with a big name artists turned producer/a &r , to see a really polished act of a group who would be signed by today's standards and say "hell no!".
There's your problem, not emough "hell no's" and too many "bean counter turned impresario" types with no skills. They couldn't tell art if it crawled outta their ass and introduced itself as 'art".
Harumph!

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:56 am

Is this thread getting you what you want?

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:37 pm

Nothing but co-operation, a sense of community, and the expulsion of accountant types from talent picking will get me what I want.
The accountant where I work has 12 degrees and can't pick an act that won't run off customers. They don't go together and they never have.
Sorry, didn't mean it as a dig against you. You are doing what you would have to do as an artist to have a career today, and it should be sweet for you. Kudos to you! You rock!
My dig is against these mega-money used to be a good label now employing people with no ear for music or sense of community type companies. You are the antithesis of that. You are leading by example in a good way.
Normally I'm alright, but, when I think of my children not being able to have a career in this business which has fed them for years (and they want to be musicians) because of some ignorant xenophobic cheapo's neurosis, it smarts a lot. It isn't your fault or anyone like you's fault. People not like you.
Harumph!