Recording Workshop

brew
pushin' record

Re: Recording Workshop

Post by brew » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:29 am

I, nor anyone, should consider "recording school" an academic pursuit. These 2 week/6 month/1 year/2 year programs are tech schools, not academic institutions. They have more in common with ITT or Art Institute than University of X.

If you are serious about academics, then I would suggest looking into university programs, like those at Miami, McGill, Hartford, etc. These, however, will: set you back $$$$$, likely not clarify what to do with your life, and only put you in a position to get "better" low-paying entry-level jobs in the industry. What you will learn at a university are fundamentals and the ability to learn, which is surely most valuable of all. If you have generally been a decent student since middle school then you probably already know this.

I do not believe that a recording school could teach you any more than you already should know with your background, by reading a few of the authoritative audio books, namely Ron Streicher & F. Alton Everest's stereo mic technique book, Pohlmann and Watkinson's books on digital audio, Bob Katz's "Mastering Audio," a subscription to Tape Op :) , going to AES meetings, and most of all by experimentation and sincere interest. Finding a great mentor could accomplish all of these. This, signal flow (goesinta, goesouta), and cable wrapping, and you're set for the studio.

That said, the only short program I would recommend is the audio program at the Aspen Music Festival, directed by Ron Streicher, president of the AES. You'll get a generalized overview of all things audio, taught by the most prestigious industry professionals, with an emphasis in natural acoustic recording, and big names behind your resume.

inquiringmind
audio school

Post by inquiringmind » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:43 am

Well, I just got back from the Recording Workshop. Great experience. I don't know everything there is to know about audio obviously, but I can tell you that (for me at least) there's no way that I could've just read some books or gotten some gear & come out knowing what I now know.

One of the best things the workshop taught me was humility. I'm more than willing to sweep floors, clean toilets, and wrap cords for the opportunity to do something I love. If anyone in the Dayton, OH area (for the time being) needs a 2nd engineeer or someone to help out with live sound, I'd love the chance.

I do appreciate all the feedback that I've gotten from this post.

Inquiringmind

john1192
audio school

Post by john1192 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:42 pm

hey man,

i went there in 1985 and i learned alot about myself and gear ... good attitude and listen were things that you learned, not the latenight complaining from some 2nd that hates that he was passed over for an after hours mixing job ...

by the way ... there were trailers for housing back then ...

little kings were the favorite beer of the instructers in the after hours sessions if you were asked to stay ...

there was a guy named john keane that was in my class and he used to tell me about a band he was doing demos with in Athens, GA ...

yes ... REM ... he has been working with them for years and is really great to see he is doing well ...

i myself work mostly in TV ... but also DVD sound design for menus, DVD mixing for live concerts, live recording, Tv mixing ... anything that pays the bills ...

get yourself some gear ... not alot just maybe a Digi 001, mixer and some mics and some mic splitters (little whirlwind mic level and line level ones) and do not stop ... record everything you can ... solo acoustic acts (guitar and voice) make live demos for these people ... do not forget some audience mics and some ambient mics (room mics for getting that all important feel of being there) and for later surround mixes ...

happy to hear they are still teaching people to be humble and listen ...

peace john