Internships for neophytes?

dirty
steve albini likes it

Internships for neophytes?

Post by dirty » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:28 pm

Is it realistic to apply for internships when I have no experience in a professional studio? I am in love with what little of the recording and mixing process I know, but I've had absolutely no access to it on a professional level.

On the other hand, if I'm gonna fetch coffee for 6 months, I KNOW I can do that.

Seriously, what do you recommend for someone who wants to get into a real studio but doesn't have an money or inclination to go to Full Sail?

matt
pluggin' in mics

Re: Internships for neophytes?

Post by matt » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:16 pm

Hey there Neophyte,
I read your posting and thought I'd throw in my 2 cents, although you can take it for what it's worth as I'm not technically a pro. I have however worked as an intern in 2 different professional studios (audio post - not music), and have a degree from an audio school, so I do have a little experience under my belt.

First off, I would say 'no', it is definitely not necessary for you to go to an audio school. It definitely doesn't hurt to have that on your resume as it at least lets the prospective studio owners know that you probably know a thing or two about mics, signal flow, equipment, etc. But the majority of studio owners probably don't give a shite about the fact that you attended an audio school. The cynical reality (and the more you read the Tape Op Message Board, the easier it becomes to be cynical) is that most (?) studio owners are more than happy to take on ANY bright-eyed individual who's willing to be a slave-laborer for little or no pay, for 40 or 60 or 80 hrs a week!

Secondly, and I think that this is really important, it really behooves you to do a little research on the studios that you are interested in interning at. Specifically, try and talk to somebody who works there, or used to work there, and find out what the owners, bosses, engineers are like...because maybe they're cool, but maybe they're fucking nazis. The point I'm trying to make is that YOU WANT TO GET SOMETHING OUT OF THE BARGAIN. You don't want to work somewhere for 1/2 a year before realizing that you haven't learned a thing about the art of recording music! You don't want to waste your time interning somewhere where your major responsibilties are cleaning the toilets and making coffee! Sure, you'll probably have to perform those unglamorous tasks -- it's part of the process -- but that shouldn't be ALL you're doing. It's gotta be a symbiotic relationship or it ain't worth it!

And that's my 2 cents worth. Good luck!

--Matt

nick_a
buyin' gear

Re: Internships for neophytes?

Post by nick_a » Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:10 pm

i would:

a) START READING TAPE OP. you'll learn a ton.
b) do research on your local studios and just call them. almost 2 years ago i called up Inner Ear here in arlington VA and it was the best thing i could have done. Now i engineer there on a weekly basis. all you need to do is say "hey. i'm really into recording but don't know much...do you want some free help for awhile?" and they won't say no. Unless they are asses, in which case you won't want to work for them anyway.