Will mix for free.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Re: Will mix for free.

Post by Rigsby » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:57 am

Yes, and besides, it's hardly like someone who is going to want to get their stuff mixed for free is likely to be the same guy who can afford to pay IMO.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:47 am

mfedderman wrote: Yeah, musicians/bands record at home, but, TALENT always finds its way to a studio and there is plenty of needy talent out there! I am recording a guy right now who put out a cd two years ago that he recorded on his 4 track. He realize his mistake and now, he is recording his 2nd CD at my studio and hiring myself & a drummer to play on his songs, in addition to paying for studio time! And this is just so he can try and sell his songs as a songwriter!
Wtf. I mean - WTF. Have you even read the Tape Op book?!?! You've never been near that book, have you??

Have you even heard Guided by Voices, Elliott Smith or Grandaddy?? They're the tip of an iceberg. They realised the mistake of thinking they had to be in a studio to make recordings of their VERY talented songs and ideas. They realised that a 4 track can be all you ever need.

Get a clue.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:00 am

Go Bobby go go go.

Bobby be good.

rigsbysmith.com

mfedderman
pushin' record

Post by mfedderman » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:11 pm

Wow Bob! What crawled up your ass and died?
"The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left over by those who got there first!"

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:30 pm

Wow Bob! What crawled up your ass and died?
It was something hairy and it kind of ronked to high heaven. I dunno. Wait - now I remember. It was your mom!! No shit. Kind of like Xtro in reverse. You'd have to watch it to get the reference. Whatever.

Anyway. Where were we?? Oh yeah. You talked utter bullshit, I called you on it. I think that was about where we got to.

Here's an idea - just for a laugh, let's see if you can resist the temptation to spout self-interested bollocks for a second or 2, and come up with a proper response. Y'know. I mean, it'll probably never work. But who knows. Maybe you can do it.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:49 pm

Seems a bit odd to me for fedderman to be so threatened by home recordists and people who wish to do things for free etc. If somebody wants to do something for free, be it for fun, experience, whatever, i don't see what business it is of anybody else. This whole attack is just bizarre as far as i'm concerned, i mean, what the fuck, what sort of a site do you think you're on? It's all about CREATIVE recording bub, i don't think that implies in any way restricting somebody else's desire to be creative, whatever their motives. You've chosen to do the recording thing for a living, good for you, he's decided to do things for free, good for him. It's all good, except this attitude of yours fed. What are you going to do when somebody sets up studio near yours? Fall to pieces and start shouting 'you can't move here you bastards! This is sooo unfair!'? Crazy. Absolutely crazy. Deal with the market you're in buddy, in all it's guises, and please - get over yourself sister.

rigsbysmith.com

mfedderman
pushin' record

Post by mfedderman » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:08 pm

Wait! I didn't start this thread! I have no issue with anyone recording, mixing or doing whatever the hell they want for free! If everyone would go back and read my original post in this thread, they would realize that my early rant was addressing people who were A) bad mouthing anewman's topic and B) recordists who are trying to make a living at this. Thats all! I have nothing against recording at home! Until this past Jan., I recorded at home!

It seems to me like this whole thread has gotten a little off topic from the original post. Bash me or not, I could give a shit. Ya know. We are all in the same boat and who has time for bitching. It amazes me that a group of engineers, recordists, audio geeks, like ourselves can result into petty name calling over one of its own speaking their mind and ranting a little bit.

(tongue firmly planted in cheek) "I will officially retract anything I have said that has offended anyone ever in the history of this fair land or TapeOp! Never against will I speak against the norm and ruffle feathers with my own ideas and thoughts! No, I tell you, this is not the place to share ideas or feeling about the business! No my good friend, this is not a safe haven to talk amongst fell audiophiles! "

Come on, give me a slight break. I can't believe I've actually wasted this much time back peddling. Lets just end this thread and be friends. :D Ok?

-Matt
"The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left over by those who got there first!"

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:56 pm

i've been recording professionally for a little over 10 years and i'll still mix for free if i really really like the music and the (band) is really good and genuinely have no money.

it's about *community* and supporting who you think has talent.
that's why i got into recording. because i love music and i'm not a musician.

now, when that same (band) plays a show, i'd better be on the guestlist...
and...if the (band) gets any money to do further recording (or a record deal or whatever), they'd better consider working with me first...

i don't think it makes it any harder for anyone else to get work because if the (band) doesn't have any money, they're not gonna have any money, period.
mixing a song or an album for free is not going to make or break my income for the year...

:^: hillary

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:55 am

mfedderman wrote:Come on, give me a slight break. I can't believe I've actually wasted this much time back peddling. Lets just end this thread and be friends. :D Ok?

-Matt
Oh alright then. :hearts:
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:52 am

My apologies fed, it was actually djui5 i meant to aim my little barrage at i think, should've checked first, my bad.

Peace be with you, and us all.

rigsbysmith.com

Jan Folkson
pluggin' in mics

Post by Jan Folkson » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:03 pm

I once worked for a guy that tought me a really important lesson. He told me that "if you work for free, your work is worthless". Before you bring out the flamethrowers, think about those words for a minute. Also keep in mind that there are other ways of being compensated for your work other than with money.

Get paid something! $5, $10, a hot meal...anything.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:11 am

Double post.
Last edited by Rigsby on Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

rigsbysmith.com

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:14 am

Jan Folkson wrote:Also keep in mind that there are other ways of being compensated for your work other than with money.
Yes, like pleasure.

rigsbysmith.com

anewman
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by anewman » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:16 am

Jan Folkson wrote:I once worked for a guy that tought me a really important lesson. He told me that "if you work for free, your work is worthless". Before you bring out the flamethrowers, think about those words for a minute. Also keep in mind that there are other ways of being compensated for your work other than with money.

Get paid something! $5, $10, a hot meal...anything.
Maybe he should be told that giving freely isn't worthless, it's priceless.

-Adam
I'm a recordist; engineers have degrees.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:19 am

Too right.

rigsbysmith.com