Am I really stupid??

adeadcat
audio school graduate

Am I really stupid??

Post by adeadcat » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:46 pm

Ok. I do i think called "a dead cat" and we recorded a buncha crap at a friend's house in Palm Springs. Since i don't play shows or have a "following" i think it's kind of stupid to try and market a cd commercially. I decided instead to make my internet-only EP "shake the sweaty hand" available for free here:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/adeadcat

as you can see, one has to join a yahoo group to download my internet-only EP. As you can also see, nobody is interested. Is this the stupidest idea ever? Should i just fork over some money to have the songs hosted and do a real website?

The only reason i did the yahoo group is to try and gauge how many people are downloading the music, for my own personal information.

What i want to know is why aren't people interested? I've "advertised" the group on a few message boards and on livejournal. Do people just see that it is a yahoo group and think "ah...too much work" or are things more along the lines of "who is is this fucker, and why should i bother downloading his music" Frankly, i think these songs are pretty good, and that plenty of people would be interested in hearing them. little help?

any criticising of my means of "promotion" or the music itself is thoroughly welcomed. you don't need to be polite if you think i am a dipshit. i have thick skin.
james graf, professional amateur

a dead cat is priceless

dougo
pushin' record

Re: Am I really stupid??

Post by dougo » Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:54 am

So I went and did the Yahoo dance to check out your tunes. Yeah it's a pain in the ass for the reason being is that generally people want instant access and not have to hop through a bunch of hoops. Check out the *$#! computer section of the message board. Someone there suggested inexpensive and cheap places to host your mp3s. Any site which requires user ID's and passwords is a pain and will definitely hinder access to your music.

Onto the music America Idol style! I enjoyed "more worries" The part where the fuzz guitar adds a nice sound on top of the jangle. You have this interesting going out of tune vocal style thing going on and the drummer goes spastic occasionally. Good fun! We'll see you back next week

UPDATE!!! I just went to download another song, "watcha wanna do" and received this message "The document you requested is temporarily unavailable because this group has exceeded its download limit. Please try again later."

Drop Yahoo and get your own site.

Finally, do what we do. Burn your stuff on CDR, buy some jewel boxes or whatever and just play a show anywhere and sell or give it away. We are now selling our CD for $5.00 at our shows and if some poor bastard has only a couple of bucks we'll give it to him. Just think he just spent his last dollars on beer and than you stoked him out on a free CD. In his alcoholic hangover haze the next morning he'll be so happy he'll probably tell all his friends. More People!

Go get em'
dougo
www.plasticsupermodel.com

adeadcat
audio school graduate

Re: Am I really stupid??

Post by adeadcat » Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:57 pm

thanks doug for the input. I'm uploading some mp3s to a free host right now, and i'll make a little web page when they're done. That should make things a ton easier for people.

I didn't think the download limit would be reached quite so fast on the yahoo community. I knew that 4 of the 9 members of that community didn't download anything.
james graf, professional amateur

a dead cat is priceless