That's a terrible name for a song

andrew embassy
george martin

That's a terrible name for a song

Post by andrew embassy » Fri May 28, 2004 4:13 pm

Is "that's a terrible name for a song" a terrible name for a song? I think it might be. Anyway, it's too late now. That's a terrible name for a song

Also, I think I'm getting too much low end in my mixes, but I can't tell. On most systems this sounds like the bass is a little loud (it's supposed to be the lead instrument) but I can't tell if it's just the bass or the whole low end. The bass is just my 77 Rickenbacker 4001 through my little vibrochamp amp with a bit of compression from the Waves Rennaissance compressor. Damn, I love that bass.
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

theslumlord
takin' a dinner break

Re: That's a terrible name for a song

Post by theslumlord » Sun May 30, 2004 5:42 pm

I'm probably the least experienced here, but the low end might need a little more definition. Not much, just a hair. I like the song.

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:30 pm

Thanks for listening, theslumlord! Do you think definition like maybe cut the low lows or boost the low mids? Less bass overall?

Anyone else?

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:25 am

Very nice. Hard to tell too much about the low-end as i'm listening on (pretty good but still) PC speakers. The bass has some fretbuzz here and there, but otherwise great. Who's on the vibes? Wasn't keen on the snare sound at first but it grew on me, that is i stopped noticing it. Like the deliberately confused breakdown. There are some people at www.utrophia.net who may be interested, they do CDR compilations and have an fair and interested following, tell them i (Rigsby Smith) sent you if you're interested.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:24 am

That's me on vibes and bass; I basically just make a beat, then do one take with vibes and one take with bass for songs like this.

I love that you like the clumsy breakdown! I really enjoyed doing that.

I'm emailing those folks right now and we'll see if they're up for something, Rigsby. Thanks for the lead!

If you or anyone else has any other suggestions, (I am right with you on that snare sound, but yeah, I can't decide if I should do anything about it) I'd love to hear them.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:07 pm

Whoa,

"I am tripppen."

--My roomate

I like it too.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 pm

stupid double post...
Last edited by Rick Hunter on Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:36 am

andrew embassy wrote:That's me on vibes and bass; I basically just make a beat, then do one take with vibes and one take with bass for songs like this.

I love that you like the clumsy breakdown! I really enjoyed doing that.

I'm emailing those folks right now and we'll see if they're up for something, Rigsby. Thanks for the lead!

If you or anyone else has any other suggestions, (I am right with you on that snare sound, but yeah, I can't decide if I should do anything about it) I'd love to hear them.
Ah cool, yeah, they're really nice people, especially Steve who seems to be the main contact there. I had a tune on their utrophia 02 compilation, which i have to say possibly suffered from their mastering and/or transfer, but it's another outlet for one's music. Steve's band's pretty good too, very tortoise-orientated IMO, but good, i've seen them live a few times and my old group (a buffalo crossing) played with them the first time which is how we met them. I've also played one of their nights with some friends as the heartfelt four and it was a really nice evening. I also like Grovesnor, i think he makes some nice electronic stuff. Anyway, hope it leads to something,
Matt.

Oh, and the vibes: Would you be interested in maybe playing some things on my record? I don't have a clear idea of how we could do this logistically, but i'd be very keen as i like your style, so let me know if this tickles your fancy at all.

rigsbysmith.com

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:23 am

Rick Hunter wrote:Whoa,

"I am tripppen."

--My roomate

I like it too.
Awesome, thanks, Rick and Rick's roommate. : )
Rigsby wrote:Ah cool, yeah, they're really nice people, especially Steve who seems to be the main contact there. I had a tune on their utrophia 02 compilation, which i have to say possibly suffered from their mastering and/or transfer, but it's another outlet for one's music. Steve's band's pretty good too, very tortoise-orientated IMO, but good, i've seen them live a few times and my old group (a buffalo crossing) played with them the first time which is how we met them. I've also played one of their nights with some friends as the heartfelt four and it was a really nice evening. I also like Grovesnor, i think he makes some nice electronic stuff. Anyway, hope it leads to something,
Matt.

Oh, and the vibes: Would you be interested in maybe playing some things on my record? I don't have a clear idea of how we could do this logistically, but i'd be very keen as i like your style, so let me know if this tickles your fancy at all.
Is Steve's band Nacien Quartet or something? They reminded me of Del Rey (and Tortise a little), they were really good. I sent a few links to mp3's, hopefully if they have some time they'll check them out.

I'd love to play some vibes for your stuff; it would probably be easy enough to do; I've got an ftp site and I could hook you up with a username and password and stuff, you could upload mp3's of the stuff, I could record some vibes, upload the wav, and let you cut and paste what you like (this is all assuming that you're not 100% analog). If you're interested, send me an email or IM or something and we'll figure out the details.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:57 am

Andrew Embassy wrote:Is Steve's band Nacien Quartet or something? They reminded me of Del Rey (and Tortise a little), they were really good. I sent a few links to mp3's, hopefully if they have some time they'll check them out.

I'd love to play some vibes for your stuff; it would probably be easy enough to do; I've got an ftp site and I could hook you up with a username and password and stuff, you could upload mp3's of the stuff, I could record some vibes, upload the wav, and let you cut and paste what you like (this is all assuming that you're not 100% analog). If you're interested, send me an email or IM or something and we'll figure out the details.
Yeah, he's one of the guitarists in the Naciente Quartet. I don't know Del Ray, something i should probably check out from what you've said. Steve's really cool, so i'm sure he'll have a listen, i'll mail him to encourage him to do so just in case. What name did you give him, was it Andrew Embassy or something else? PM me with it if you don't want it on the board.

I'm really pleased you're up for doing some vibes. I think i'm about 2 months away from having things done so i'll have a very clear idea of where i'd like vibes on the record, i'll PM you nearer the time and we'll sort something out. There may be a couple of bits where i'd like you to play specific things as well as the improvised things i had in mind, can you read music or would you like a rough idea on keyboard/guitar/something that you can learn the notes from? Let me know, and really, thanks a lot!

rigsbysmith.com

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:28 am

Yeah, that band is good (so is Del Rey); they were easily the best thing I heard off that site. I just gave him my real name, which is Andrew, my group is called V. Velella.

Totally keep me posted with the vibes. If you send music I'll be fine to read it (might not be able to sight read it, I only got proficient sight reading bass guitar) it may take a few runs through but I'll be able to dicipher it well enough (and it'll be a good exercise). What kind of music is it?

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:08 pm

I'm kind of doing a variety of things for this record, but i'm influenced by jazz (largely late 50's-early 60's small group stuff, but also some free jazz too), avant-classical (sumire yoshihara - percussionist, some stockhausen etc etc), electronic things (from early stuff like Messiaen to recent things like Aphex Twin), i'm big on percussion in both a avant/ spacious way, and in a joe zawinul/ weather report/ celebratorary way too. There are some ambient parts, i have an interest in arabic music too, so there's some of that coming through. Hard to describe really, but the instruments so far are drums, percussion, bass guitar, guitar, trombone, synths, tenor and baritone saxophones, glockenspiel, clarinet, cello and violin, some live and some sampled. It's all instrumental, actually there are voices here and there, so i guess non-lyrical then. That probably doesn't get you any closer, but that's the best i can do. I'll PM you a link to some MP3s closer to the time so you'll be able to get a better idea and decide for sure whether you're interested or not, hopefully you will be.

Keep posting your stuff yeah, i'll keep looking out.

rigsbysmith.com

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:06 pm

Damn, that sounds awesome. I'll definitely be looking out for that.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:17 am

Ah jeez, hope i haven't bigged it up too much, i guess you'll have to see for yourself.

rigsbysmith.com

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:50 pm

Andrew,
That is some really fluid composition. I like it a lot. I don't hear really anything worng with it. I do hear a bit of the bass fuzz mentioned earlier, but it's so slight I wouldn't bother about it.
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry