Latin Jazz

roy
alignin' 24-trk

Latin Jazz

Post by roy » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:30 am

Hey again,

This is a Latin Jazz group I recorded a demo for recently. Comments and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

You'll find the file in the mpg folder, called latin.mpg

Also, I'm still looking for a better place to stick these files....

roy
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Latin Jazz

Post by roy » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:32 am

Whoops....

It's really not an mpg, it's just an mp3. Sorry for the confusion, it must be late....

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:28 am

i think it's cool...the cowbell and the ride comes through a little too much here at work...and could use a bit more conga throughout...i have the same conga complaints on a lot of latin recordings though.

i love the latin jazz...mongo, puente and palmieri in particular...this recording sounds more modern ala sanchez stuff and mellow like that cal tjader (sp?) guy...probably on the money for what they wanted so cool...sounds great to me...any stories on how your recorded it would be cool to hear for me. i've always wanted to do a latin band...

Mike

roy
alignin' 24-trk

Post by roy » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:51 am

Thanks for the feedback on the recording. To record this, I used the following mics:

Kick - D112
Snare - SM57
Wood Block - SM57
OH - SM81
Congas - 2 SM57's
Bass - DI
Piano - DI
Trumpet - Sennheiser 421

The conga player overdubbed some percussion with a SM57 as well.

Everyone was in the same room with headphones and I had some gobos around the set. Tracked to an iZ RADAR 24 using the mic preamps from a Souncraft 600. Mixed down to Masterlink 9600.

I think the bell and the cymbals were a bit hot, and the conga could have been more present. I'm not sure I liked the overall stereo image either. I tend to split congas about 75% L/R and the same with other percussion. I should probably put both congas to one side, then percussion on the other...oh well. Thats why we keep doing this :)

Thanks again,
Roy

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:54 am

'I'm not sure I liked the overall stereo image either.'

mono here at work...radar huh? man i'd love one of those things...they sound pretty great...thanks for the info...

MIke