an old song of mine i found

wing
on a wing and a prayer

an old song of mine i found

Post by wing » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:02 pm

here is a song i found digging through my old stuff. i made it at least a year ago or more. it was very minimal, i kind of did it in a day, and played everything on it. that bridge thing is just a joke, a cheesy sample i found online-- because the person i was making the song for, well, we have all sorts of jokes about cheesy things like that. so it fits even though it doesn't sound like it does. (hence the cheesy opening, the chimes, etc)

anyway, i was supposed to add vocals and other things, and mix it better, but then my hard drive crashed (if you guys remember), and so i lost all the files to it. all i had left was this mp3. it's funny listening back to it now, and how bad everything sounds, and what a sloppy musician i am (i played everything on it-- as you can tell i'm not a guitarist).

link

why do my drums always sound so terrible in recording? oh well. it's funny in retrospect.

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Re: an old song of mine i found

Post by A.L. » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:07 pm

wing wrote:it's funny listening back to it now, and how bad everything sounds
NOT. It sounds great, guy. Not slick at all but it totally suits the material. "creative recording". Guy.
and what a sloppy musician i am
Pssht, yeah whatever. You are sloppy but I'll take sloppy over boring any day, besides, you're sloppy and good not sloppy and painful to listen to.
as you can tell i'm not a guitarist).
Psssht, yeah whatever, as long as it sounds cool, which it does. You've got a good ear, clearly.

I think this song rocks, the chanting and the chimes were WTF moments but they still worked. Who cares if you only have an mp3? I say finish the song. It's easy to be really hard on yourself, I know I am, but I'm being sincere when I say I really like this cut, and I wish you would post more music.

texlop
pushin' record

Post by texlop » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:56 pm

I'd have to agree with A.L., I like the groove of the drums. I like the acoustic guitar a lot that is a nice melody. That is a nice bass tone how did you acheive it if you still remember.

Don't be so hard on yourself. That is a lot better than a lot of stuff I hear out there good job.

Me and smilie give it two thumbs up :^:
For some good new music check out The Medusas

listen to some of their Mp3's at Pure Volume

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:09 am

This sounds awesome, Jonathan. Don't know why you're ragging on it. At all. And your drums always give me a boner. Maybe I could sing on it sometime down the road? Collaborating is hawt.
I am wangtacular.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:40 am

Bear wrote:And your drums always give me a boner.
Yeah - YEAH!! I know. The botws rocked my mind's face off. More, I say. MORE!!
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:59 am

Yeah. The drums sound trashy, but the groove is sick! It should be easy enough to get a good vocal melody happening here.. do it! I like when you hit the bell of the ride in the "chorus"?

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:31 am

This is really good Jon. Finish it up. I love the climbing bass part, the drums are super rock, the guitar playing and parts are great. Good job, I'd like to try and add stuff to this if that's ok?
beware bee wear

coniferouspine
re-cappin' neve

Post by coniferouspine » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:24 am

Bring back the BOTWs!
"Every song needs a cranked marshall for mojo, even if decorum requires muting the track."