Evaluate my first rough mixes please!

daede
takin' a dinner break

Evaluate my first rough mixes please!

Post by daede » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:56 am

The music is here.

This weekend I completed my first rough mixes of my new band's demo. These first mixes may be a little bit too hot- I think there's a little bit of clarity lost, so I'll probably go back and ease things up a bit before I run it thru T-Racks for mastering.

I'll probably also clean up the beginning/ending fades a little bit, and also do some sort of noise reduction. The vocals were intentionally mixed with a little bit of tape saturation, but I may ease up on that and the reverb a little bit.

I tracked everything to a 1/2" TSR-8 8 track reel to reel, and dumped it into Pro Tools at 24/96 for editing and a few overdubs.
"There's nothing noble in being better than your fellow man. True nobility comes from being better than your former self." Or something like that.

www.dreamachinemusic.com

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Re: Evaluate my first rough mixes please!

Post by dynomike » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:42 pm

Sounds good man! The hiss is extreme, but I don't mind. I'd back off the whole mix a tad. The kick drum is a little distorted and the cymbals are a little bright. Snare and toms are kickin though! Guitars are nice and up front too. Sounds like they hit the tape pretty hard too. Overall good! I'd just back off the volume a bit like you suggested, and definately do something about those bright cymbals, its just a little much, especially on the crashes and hi-hat accents.

This really makes me want to get a r2r for drums! Thanks for posting. I really don't think you'll need to boost the volume in mastering much where you have it now though... its loud enough now! But back it off a bit on the mix then bring a little back in the mastering - you already know this.

Mike
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Re: Evaluate my first rough mixes please!

Post by stillafool » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:50 pm

I love the guitar playing and the rythm section. Sounds pretty damned good on my desktop speakers. My only criticism is with the choice of song --I would've chosen a Howlin' Wolf song that hasn't been covered a million times (something like Moanin' at Midnight), or better yet, write your own lyrics.