my latest engineering /producing hoo-ha.

octobre
audio school graduate

my latest engineering /producing hoo-ha.

Post by octobre » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:56 pm

i finished producing an album recently for north carolina's the prayers and tears of arthur digby sellers ( http://www.prayersandtears.com ). i am about to start producing another album after picking up some gear (am actually in the market for a compressor with a distorted sound a la spectrasonics 610 and a new vocal mic - would love some suggestions).

anyway, here are links to two of the tracks from the album. would love some feedback for future reference on this upcoming project.

credits for these two songs:
songs, vocals : perry wright
rhodes, piano, moog, theremin, guitar, bass, percussion, viola : me (alex)
heather mcentire : vocals
lalitree darnielle : vocals
david daniels : bass
daniel hart : violin
drums : james mcalister
percussion : dale baker

http://www.prayersandtears.com/mp3/the_ ... aliens.mp3

http://www.prayersandtears.com/mp3/the_ ... _sleep.mp3[/b]

Zygomorph
pushin' record

Re: my latest engineering /producing hoo-ha.

Post by Zygomorph » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:36 pm

Concerning Concerning Lessons Learned from the Aliens:

The arrangement is gorgeous but a bit heavy in the mid- to upper-mid range spectrum. The mp3 compression could also be exacerbating this rather sibilant sound.

Concerning Cannot Eat Better Not Sleep

At first I thought that the loud section in the middle was just capriciously over-compressed, but then I realized that it complimented the vocals perfectly: "...for someone cold as I am." A sonic pun which allows the vocals to be sung over a more intense sound without much more audible effort than when they were singing with an acoustic guitar.

Form/Content unity = cool beans.

Congratulations!

mwkeene
audio school

Post by mwkeene » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:49 pm

Sounds great! I really like the songs, and the arrangements are great. You don't need more gear man, you just need to keep working with people like this. The crap in the high end sounds like its coming from the mp3 encoding. That happens to me when I encode at 128kbps.

Where can I buy it??

-Mike

octobre
audio school graduate

Post by octobre » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:45 pm

thanks for the comments, guys.

i am likely picking up a pair of RNCs this week, and maybe a new vocal mic (AT4040 or 4050, maybe that marshall), since i'm consistenly never wowed by the results i get with the B2 we have. The sibilance is a weird thing and seems to come from the encoding - i should repost in 192khz and see if you have a similar problem.

the record will be out in march at bu hanan records, my label : www.buhananrecords.com

the loud section IS really compressed, but that was intentional. i wanted to add distortion to the drums themselves, but though it overkill sinceit's already on the various vocals and the guitars...