please listen and give advise

bluntphunk
audio school graduate

please listen and give advise

Post by bluntphunk » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:55 am

here is my first attempt at posting my music as a mp3. the quality in my opinion is crap. quite pixelated for lack of a better word and all the eq is muffed up. these songs for the time being are only streaming so that could be a bit of it, however i would like to know how to post to download if anyone has suggestions or has used this sight.(yes i have read the faq) please give advise.

http://www.purevolume.com/we13

bluntphunk
audio school graduate

Re: please listen and give advise

Post by bluntphunk » Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:33 pm

ok got the files able to download. now just need some advise on mixing and how to get the streaming to sound better.

Dr. Sausage
gettin' sounds

Post by Dr. Sausage » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:59 pm

I'm listening to Looking Back. The mix is extremely muddy, there needs to be a lot less reverb especially on the vocals, which need to be brought up. The keyboards after the first verse compete with everything else and they are distracting. Definetely take out as much reverb as you can.

octobre
audio school graduate

Post by octobre » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:48 pm

i agree with strat0tele - sounds like you got reverb happy. anything past "natural" sounding reverb needs to be used pretty sparingly in my experience - though i tend to use more on background vocals and harmony parts to get them to sound more distant...

streaming is not the ideal way to judge a mix, because it'll start cutting your highs and lows and muddy everything up as it is, but it sounds like either you could spend more time getting your internal signal right (mic placement is pretty key on certain acoustic guitars), or have some freaky resonance problems on the guitar that you need to try to notch out of the recorded signal.

Josey Price
audio school

Post by Josey Price » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:27 pm

Purevolume majorly compresses everything it streams, so it always sounds like there's a phaser on the mix. Haw.

I'd tell people to download it if they want to really hear the mix.

bluntphunk
audio school graduate

Post by bluntphunk » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:19 am

did you guys happen to listen to Appology? im currious what you would think of it.
in regards to the reverb on looking back, i wasnt shooting for anything natural sounding at all. i wanted an effected vocal, however i will admit that there is a bit too much, however there is a delay on the vox.
with the guitar, i have always had problems recording myself playing acoustic guitar. its always easier when someone else plays it so i can get a sound happening.
please listen to appology and let me know what you think. also if you have any tips on mixing to mp3. i hate the format myslef, but it seems to be the way to go for the net.

glagola1
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by glagola1 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:20 pm

Who cares what we think? Does it sound good to you? What would have happened to Piccaso if he'd asked everyone what they thought of his paintings.

I'd just make it sound good to you.

Now for what I think: There is a lack of heirarchy in the sound field. The stereo panning in my headphones makes me crazy but I tend to mix pretty narrow because I'm shooting for a real sound stage. There's also some crazy frequency action goin on but that may be the streaming effect.

Keep on rocking in the free world.