Your disc reviewed online

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Re: Your disc reviewed online

Post by Rigsby » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:16 am

Sorry in a way to keep this thread alive. I don't know whether or not this kind of thing slightly preys on the experienced and if so i have a problem with that. I previously asked for a greater explaination of the context of the review and important connections or influence that Jeff Robinson may have over anyone else who records for a living or some guy in the street for that matter, but haven't recieved a reply as far as i've noticed. If this really is a 'service' which preys on people's inexperience and/or naivety then i'm not at all comfortable with that at all, i want to have some faith that you get a little more, something worth paying for in return for your $40. If it's not a valuable service then surely it's a scam as such, with only one benefactor, and in which case how happy are you when you're holding the dollars at someone else's unnecessary expense?

Before one really gets out anywhere within music circles it's easy to view people who work within that framework as 'insiders', not just people who make recordings for a living etc, there's a mystery to it all and if this service is nothing more than what you think of the recording then i see that as preying on those that don't know any better unless you have some significant influence with or connections to people who can make a difference to an aspect of the artist's career.

Maybe i'm wrong but i can't see it right now.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:58 am

Sorry about the link gone bad. Bad free service. Have a new link for the site:

http://www.stuntkittyfilms.com/epicurean_monk/

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:08 am

So the review goes solely on your label's site, is that correct? I'm just trying to gauge what you are offering here Jeff.

rigsbysmith.com

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:13 pm

It's a php page on another site. Nothing to do with Third Monk Records. Link is to the Epicurean Monk page...

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:00 am

Okay, right. How many hits do you get a day/week/month/year, however you personally measure, and who are the people that read the reviews, is it largely those that have been reviewed or mostly 'industry professionals' for want of a better term?

rigsbysmith.com

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:49 am

Wanted to share the PM i just recieved from Jeff, entitled 'cynic', included also, my reply.

Jeff Robinson wrote:Dear Whomever,

Work discography is at thirdmonkrecords.com/discography

Years of making records as well as several years in commercial radio, help tons in critiquing.

What do you do?

Best,
Jeff Robinson
Hello Jeff,

My name's Matt and i'm a struggling composer with half a day job, and i largely record myself. I don't have an issue with whether or not your critiques are 'good' or not, but my interest has been trying to ascertain exactly how influential a critique from you would be. I appreciate you have a great deal of experience with recording groups and artists, but this is not as such the service you are providing for money. What i mean by this: A band records a demo and sends you $40 and their CD for you to review, which you do and it goes up on your site. My question comes in here: Are you very well 'connected' and thus A&R people and the like from either major and/or independent labels regularly visit your pages to check out new talent, and if so, what labels are you 'in' with so to speak? I know you may have recorded many people but that doesn't necessarily mean that you have regular contact with labels, that people from those labels visit your site or that your opinion of someone's work is influential on those people. My point being (as per my questions on the thread you PMed me about) that anyone can provide a critique (whether it's good or bad is not in question here), but what influence would your critique be over the very people that most groups are trying to reach.

I'm confused and slightly appauled that you PM me with the heading 'cynic', when i am simply someone attempting to get a straight answer. When you buy a washing machine you know you're getting the machine, but what about delivery, time-scale of that, and insurance etc etc. The answers you seem to have provided so far are akin with mumbling and avoidance, which leads people to mistrust the service. If it wasn't for the 'Dear Whoever' and the 'cynic' i would have responded in a more friendly tone, but this sort of manner isn't doing you any favours with anyone i'm sure.

Hope this finds you well, be good to hear some straight answers, hopefully you can see my qusetions now in the light that they are meant. I'm not necessarily calling your service a scam, but would really like to know the ins and outs of it. Cynical? Cautious.

All the best,
Matt.

rigsbysmith.com

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:03 am

Rigsby wrote:My name's Matt and i'm a struggling composer with half a day job, and i largely record myself. I don't have an issue with whether or not your critiques are 'good' or not, but my interest has been trying to ascertain exactly how influential a critique from you would be. I appreciate you have a great deal of experience with recording groups and artists, but this is not as such the service you are providing for money. What i mean by this: A band records a demo and sends you $40 and their CD for you to review, which you do and it goes up on your site. My question comes in here: Are you very well 'connected' and thus A&R people and the like from either major and/or independent labels regularly visit your pages to check out new talent, and if so, what labels are you 'in' with so to speak? I know you may have recorded many people but that doesn't necessarily mean that you have regular contact with labels, that people from those labels visit your site or that your opinion of someone's work is influential on those people. My point being (as per my questions on the thread you PMed me about) that anyone can provide a critique (whether it's good or bad is not in question here), but what influence would your critique be over the very people that most groups are trying to reach.
The Epicurean Monk provides reviews of artist material that will be permanently posted on the internet. There are no other claims. I think it an insane concept that you suggest a review would have any influence over the A & R community. The review merely becomes another piece for a presskit which is essential for the success of a band.

HuskerDude
pushin' record

Post by HuskerDude » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:00 am

I think the question is do people actually visit your site for the reviews? What kid of traffic do the reviews get, and who reads them? Is it worth $40 and a copy of the record to have you review it, when for only the cost of a copy of the record, we could have it reviewed by Big Takeover or Left of the Dial or one of scores of webzines that get a decent amount of traffic, both from people in the record industry and from folks who just buy a lot of records?
Who reads your site that would make it worth the substantial cost?

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:25 am

HuskerDude wrote:I think the question is do people actually visit your site for the reviews? What kid of traffic do the reviews get, and who reads them? Is it worth $40 and a copy of the record to have you review it, when for only the cost of a copy of the record, we could have it reviewed by Big Takeover or Left of the Dial or one of scores of webzines that get a decent amount of traffic, both from people in the record industry and from folks who just buy a lot of records?
Who reads your site that would make it worth the substantial cost?
EXACTLY. It's all about the hits on the site and who's making them surely? Is this review going to be read by anyone who could be important to myself/group. We're all potential customers here Jeff, sincerely, so please: What sort of people visit your site and how many hits does it get in any given time frame on average? I'm asking about your service and you're giving me the runaround.

rigsbysmith.com

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:29 am

...oh, and what other material is on that site? Is it solely reviews? What sort of format does it have? Are new reviews always on the home/start page and then it goes back via the date after that? I've seen the site but would like to know more please Jeff.

rigsbysmith.com

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:38 pm

Jeff Robinson wrote:
The review merely becomes another piece for a presskit which is essential for the success of a band.

Yes...a worthless piece, and it is robbery to recieve money for it.
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:56 pm

chocolatechickenpunkpie wrote:
coniferouspine wrote:I don't know what others might think, there may be lots of jokes cracked on this thread, but speaking as a person with actual music journalism experience, I find this "review for $40" thing of Jeff's to be a really really revolting practice. I would certainly hope that anyone new to this forum who sees this thread and contemplates utilizing Third Monk's "service" would have the intelligence and sense to realize that there is a reason behind people's kidding, and that reason is because this is a really despicable and sleazy thing that Jeff is doing, and his site is useless from the point of view of either art or commerce in the music industry. It lacks integrity and it shows us the music business at its worst, populated by untalented hustlers and shysters looking to rip off young kids and naive newbies. If you're reading this thread and contemplating using this "service," I think it's safe to say that paying $40 for a review on that site certainly wouldn't do any good for the person who paid for it. You'd be better off spending $40 to buy a table dance in a strip club for the homeless guy on the corner. So just think about that if you're new or lurking and reading this thread.
Quite possibly the best post ever on TapeOp. I mean it. Well, maybe the second best, next to Stabby's rectal prolapse pic.

SMH
wow thanks! Image
-Matthew Macchio$tab

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:57 pm

Was that the result of one of Jeff's reviews?

Jeff Wobblybottom
audio school graduate

Post by Jeff Wobblybottom » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:00 am

Listen, i mean, really, you guys have to bow down to me, i'm a christ-like figure in a land of fools and you all need me. I'm breaking the bread and multiplying da fishes like they ain't no tomorrow homes, and you can get yoself a piece o that pie for like 40 clams.

And that's tha word o' da lord. Jeffside.
Minor Talent, Major Ego
www.$35records.com

Deafguy
audio school

Post by Deafguy » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:24 am

Man i'm with Jeff, you guys should be paying us for all this advice we give you in our unnecessarily arrogant way, hey Larry, start charging these no nothing fucks will ya?

Deafside.
:::The return of the son of bullshit's father.:::