please critique my songs/recordings

rubensinclair
audio school

please critique my songs/recordings

Post by rubensinclair » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:18 pm

these three songs can be downloaded by clicking the little blue arrow that points down - it should be fairly obvious.
i recorded them on my yamaha mt8x 8 track cassette recorder. i sing and play all the instruments except the drums.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/alb ... 67&alid=-1

thanks for your honesty

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Re: please critique my songs/recordings

Post by eeldip » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:03 pm

great sounding stuff for cassette. you really work with that medium well.

everything sounds really good recording-wise. i actually wouldnt change a thing.

my only critique of note is that your songwriting is a little on the "safe" side. or i guess its kinda traditionalist? really solid writing, but if someone told me that it was recording any time in the last 12 years or so i wouldnt have blinked.

i would try to inject a little more personality into it...

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:08 pm

was that harsh?

didnt mean it... just a friendly push is what i intended. i am more critical of things that i like...

rubensinclair
audio school

Post by rubensinclair » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:30 pm

oh definitely helpful. thank you for the kind words about the recording itself. it's becoming more and more clear to me that the less i do to a recording and the more i just listen and get it right when i'm in a room, the better it sounds.

as for the song itself, this was the first time i really tried to do it all alone, and now that you mention it, having other people in the mix would have definitely led to more experimentation and would have pushed it to somewhere i wouldn't have gone by myself. i guess this is a good jumping off base to get other people involved?

thanks again!