Some new rough mixes

mofolotopo
audio school graduate

Some new rough mixes

Post by mofolotopo » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:11 pm

http://s93039938.onlinehome.us/index.htm

Here are some rough approximations of some songs I've been working on lately. I'd love to hear feedback on them. With the exception of "Fly" and "So Much Better", the vocals are only there for guidance. They are occasionally off key and not particularly well recorded. Not making excuses, I'm just letting you know that I'm aware of that. Other things...I'm not sure about the drums in "Parallel Universes"; I'm just using a sampled loop right now but may go ahead and record a real drum part later. I'd like some feedback on that, as a matter of fact. So here's the song-by-song rundown:

So Much Better - Sad song about escaping one's self through obsessing on others. Quiet folk-electronic with a huge rock and roll interlude. I've posted this one here before.

Parallel Universes - Kinda wistful song about longing for a parallel universe in which all of your bad decisions/unfortunate accidents are undone. Also folk-electronic. I'm not sure about the drums, as mentioned above. I'm also trying to think of a better name for this song.

Clockwork Family - Poor redneck kid longing to replace his screwed up family with robots. Borders on bluegrass, but with an homage to Esquivel in the middle.

Fly - Escapism, pure and simple. I don't know what genre you'd put it in. I'm pretty happy with this one all around, but unfortunately there are pops and clicks on the vocal track that I'm going to have to either edit or just redo entirely. Dammit.

Ugly American
- About the futility of escapism, as in the previous song. Also about realizing that you are a consumer whore but not caring enough to do anything about it. Sounds a bit like a conjunto group on downers.

All tracks are me, recorded on a two-track-at-a-time setup at my house. Oddly enough, if I'm known for anything it's for songs that are kinda clever and funny. It just seems to take me a lot longer to record and be happy with those, so the sad ones compose a disproportionate fraction of the ones that are actually finished. I guess that "Parallel Universes" and "Clockwork Family" are the two that are most representative of the rest of my songs. Hopefully I'll have more of those done soonish.
Last edited by mofolotopo on Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:35 am, edited 5 times in total.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Re: Some new rough mixes

Post by nlmd311 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:01 pm

Where are the tracks?
I don't see any links or website...

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

mofolotopo
audio school graduate

Re: Some new rough mixes

Post by mofolotopo » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:58 pm

nlmd311 wrote:Where are the tracks?
I don't see any links or website...

-Darrill
Yes, well that's got to be one of the dumbest things I've done in a long, long time. It's fixed now.

Thanks for pointing that out!