Liquorice Quartet rough mix

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Liquorice Quartet rough mix

Post by Jeremy Garber » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:23 am

You can control the S's after tracking with a de-esser (sp?). It's basically a compressor that works on specific frequencies.

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:18 pm

I think it sounds really good. I think the first lead jumps out as a little load due to the hard panning of the guitars. You could probably pull it back a little and still have it plenty present; try it at least. And it also sounded like the rhythm guitar on the right channel a little while after the lead seemed noticably louder than the left side. Most of the song they seem pretty balanced. I'm digging the overall sound of it though--good job!

gabewheel2000
pushin' record

Post by gabewheel2000 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:19 pm

MusicallyMrM wrote::D Great Musical content. This sounds as though at has heavy Pink Floyd leanings. (Needs a dark ominous vocal) The instrumental balance is really hot(levels) but works well together; the vocals are too low in the mix. Some voice placement in the sound field could be tweaked just a bit for clarity. (panning) There were a few tuning problems (guitar) at the beginning of the song that seemed to clear themself up as the song went along.

What did you use to record this song? Was this digital or tape? It has a nice warm feel to it. I like that a lot.

Great song though. I really liked it. 8)

Listen To The Sounds Of Musically Mr M @ SoundClick
i noticed that guitar out of tune too, since it seems to fix itself, i'm thinking it was a performance issue on my part. damn. it's recorded digital, but it is pretty warm. Kyle and sampersound is reallly good to work with.

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:22 pm

Andy wrote:

I'm listening on my work speakers (Rolands). Everything to me sounds good - you're about 90% there. I like the idea of the organ coming up a little during the versus and a little more guitar during the chorus. Create more dynamics. And, like Al said, a little less hard panning. Try 9 and 3 o'clock. Solo level is fine - I don't know what you're smokling. I'd personally like a little more punch from the kick and floor toms. Are you using any compression at this point? A few db here and there of compression goes a long way to smoothing out the mix.

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:55 pm

Sorry to slightly go off topic, but you mention panning at 9 and 3 o'clock. To me, that would mean hard left and hard right. Is there another way I should look at it? I've never heard anybody use that reference to panning.

moogplayer
steve albini likes it

Post by moogplayer » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:04 pm

looking at 2 channels on a console, one panned hard left and one hard right would be (left = 7 o'clock) and (right = 5 o'clock), if that makes sense. The ol' '9 and 3' approach (not as hard-panned) works well in certain situations. Makes things a little fuller and not so separated.

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:37 pm

Ah OK, I understand now. I'm picturing my software in my mind... Where you don't have a knob, it's just a bar that goes from left to right. I can envision the pan field as a clock, but since 9 and 3 are straight across from each other... well, do you get the idea? heheh

I do have an old 16 channel analog mixer that could use some use. I have it tucked away now for a special project that may come along. I've been thinking about getting a surface controller for my software though. One with motorized faders.

kylethompson
pushin' record

Post by kylethompson » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:46 am

it's recorded digital, but it is pretty warm. Kyle and sampersound is reallly good to work with.[/quote]

Sorry Gabe but I have to clarify. It's Ampersand Recording Studio.

I am really lucky to work with bands like Liquorice Quartet.

By the way there is a really interesting event coming up in San Diego this weekend. Anyone on the board from san diego should PM me or Gabe to get the details.
"I tell you this because, as an artist, I think you'll understand."

gabewheel2000
pushin' record

Post by gabewheel2000 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:41 am

haha i totally butchered the name of your studio. sorry about that.